Jun 10, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
In late May, I asked PHT readers to vote on how much money Bobby Ryan should make as a restricted free agent. Take a look at the poll results below (click to enlarge).
So, my general guess for Ryan’s value seems to match the majority opinion of our audience (Perry-Getzlaf money) although “Jordan Staal money” was a competitive second. So, maybe Ryan’s worth $5.3 million or $4 million. Maybe somewhere in between?
I was heartened to see that there weren’t too many people who chose anything far above $6 million, though.
For what it’s worth, I’d rather pay Ryan somewhere in that $5.3 million-ish range than someone like Phil Kessel. Ryan has had some nice moments in his brief playoff experience and can create quite a bit of offense even if his linemates are a bit lacking. Ryan also brings a physical edge to his game, which means that he can occasionally make an impact even if he’s not scoring.
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of contract Ryan signs with the Ducks. We’ll keep you up to date on his restricted free agent situation as well as the many other transactions that will take place once July 1 hits.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)