Jun 10, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
In late May, I asked PHT readers to vote on how much money Bobby Ryan should make as a restricted free agent. Take a look at the poll results below (click to enlarge).
So, my general guess for Ryan’s value seems to match the majority opinion of our audience (Perry-Getzlaf money) although “Jordan Staal money” was a competitive second. So, maybe Ryan’s worth $5.3 million or $4 million. Maybe somewhere in between?
I was heartened to see that there weren’t too many people who chose anything far above $6 million, though.
For what it’s worth, I’d rather pay Ryan somewhere in that $5.3 million-ish range than someone like Phil Kessel. Ryan has had some nice moments in his brief playoff experience and can create quite a bit of offense even if his linemates are a bit lacking. Ryan also brings a physical edge to his game, which means that he can occasionally make an impact even if he’s not scoring.
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of contract Ryan signs with the Ducks. We’ll keep you up to date on his restricted free agent situation as well as the many other transactions that will take place once July 1 hits.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25