Jun 10, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
Just about every team in the NHL envied the Chicago Blackhawks last night, but one of the clubs with the most bittersweet feelings must have been the Nashville Predators (as Dirk Hoag from On the Forecheck discussed). While both the Flyers and Predators pushed the Stanley Cup champions to a sixth game, one could make an argument that Nashville’s stifling style gave the Blackhawks genuine cause for concern. Ultimately, though, they didn’t get the job done.
Still, as the cliche goes, living well is the best revenge. The Predators hope to do that by getting better this summer, but as a low-budget, small market team they’ll have to find cheaper ways to do so. One of those methods is building up through the draft and the team hopes to keep that going after signing 2010 Hobey Baker award winner Blake Geoffrion to a two-year contract, as the young player reported on his own Twitter account.
The Predators selected Geoffrion with the the 56th pick in the 2006 draft.
You could say that Geoffrion has hockey – heck, even hockey greatness – in his blood. His father Dan played a few years in the league, but dig deeper into the Hobey Baker winner’s family tree and you’ll see true hockey royalty. His grandfather is Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion, a Hall of Fame forward who revolutionized the sport with his slap shot. Of course, Bernie lived under the sizable shadow of all-time great Howie Morenz (Blake’s great-grandfather), one of only seven Montreal Canadiens to have his number retired.
Blake might not be a future legend of the NHL, but he isn’t a slouch, either. As I mentioned, he won the Hobey Baker award for the best player in NCAA hockey and collected a slew of other honors as well. My guess is that, at 22, he’ll be given a true opportunity to make the team during training camp this summer.
Let’s all agree that his nickname will either be “Boom Boom”, “Boom Boom Jr.” or “Little Boom Boom” (if you’re a fan of Yogi Bear). Much like how every person with the last name Campbell must be known as “Soupy,” every Geoffrion should be referred to in some “Boom Boom” fashion. I think this is a reasonable request.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)