Jun 10, 2010, 1:45 AM EST
Eventually, the Philadelphia Flyers will be able to look back at this
past season and what they accomplished against the Chicago Blackhawks
and be proud of what they did. For some, that moment will come tonight,
or later in the week. For others, it may take a bit longer.
For now, however, the Flyers are going to feel the sting of a loss in
a series they were more than capable of winning.
This was one of the toughest seasons I’ve ever seen a hockey team get
through and still be able make history in the postseason. Injuries to
key players, a midseason collapse and a coaching change, and more
goaltender issues than any team should ever have to deal with.
“We went through a lot this year as a group,” captain Mike Richards
agreed after the game. “I can’t analyze the season right now, but like I
said, we went through a lot. We’ve gone through a lot together. When
you go through stuff like that, I think it brings the group closer
Just like anytime a good, hard working team like this loses in the
finals there is talk about how good this experience was for the players.
While there is likely going to be a much different looking roster next
season, there’s no reason why the Flyers can’t be in this position again
in the near future. Of course, that’s not exactly what Richards was
hoping to be talking about tonight.
“It was a good learning experience for us,” Richards said. “I mean,
you have to take out of it what it takes to win. It’s the hardest
thing I’ve ever had to go through. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 57
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)