Jun 10, 2010, 1:45 AM EDT
Eventually, the Philadelphia Flyers will be able to look back at this
past season and what they accomplished against the Chicago Blackhawks
and be proud of what they did. For some, that moment will come tonight,
or later in the week. For others, it may take a bit longer.
For now, however, the Flyers are going to feel the sting of a loss in
a series they were more than capable of winning.
This was one of the toughest seasons I’ve ever seen a hockey team get
through and still be able make history in the postseason. Injuries to
key players, a midseason collapse and a coaching change, and more
goaltender issues than any team should ever have to deal with.
“We went through a lot this year as a group,” captain Mike Richards
agreed after the game. “I can’t analyze the season right now, but like I
said, we went through a lot. We’ve gone through a lot together. When
you go through stuff like that, I think it brings the group closer
Just like anytime a good, hard working team like this loses in the
finals there is talk about how good this experience was for the players.
While there is likely going to be a much different looking roster next
season, there’s no reason why the Flyers can’t be in this position again
in the near future. Of course, that’s not exactly what Richards was
hoping to be talking about tonight.
“It was a good learning experience for us,” Richards said. “I mean,
you have to take out of it what it takes to win. It’s the hardest
thing I’ve ever had to go through. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)