Jun 10, 2010, 1:45 AM EDT
Eventually, the Philadelphia Flyers will be able to look back at this
past season and what they accomplished against the Chicago Blackhawks
and be proud of what they did. For some, that moment will come tonight,
or later in the week. For others, it may take a bit longer.
For now, however, the Flyers are going to feel the sting of a loss in
a series they were more than capable of winning.
This was one of the toughest seasons I’ve ever seen a hockey team get
through and still be able make history in the postseason. Injuries to
key players, a midseason collapse and a coaching change, and more
goaltender issues than any team should ever have to deal with.
“We went through a lot this year as a group,” captain Mike Richards
agreed after the game. “I can’t analyze the season right now, but like I
said, we went through a lot. We’ve gone through a lot together. When
you go through stuff like that, I think it brings the group closer
Just like anytime a good, hard working team like this loses in the
finals there is talk about how good this experience was for the players.
While there is likely going to be a much different looking roster next
season, there’s no reason why the Flyers can’t be in this position again
in the near future. Of course, that’s not exactly what Richards was
hoping to be talking about tonight.
“It was a good learning experience for us,” Richards said. “I mean,
you have to take out of it what it takes to win. It’s the hardest
thing I’ve ever had to go through. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)