Jun 9, 2010, 2:20 PM EDT
The “next generation” of Electronic Arts’ NHL series might be subject to a bit of nitpicking, but they’re still among the best hockey video games ever made.
With the 2K Series bowing out of competition for at least a year (except on Nintendo’s Wii console), some people were worried that EA’s polygonal puck monopoly would mean the company would rest on its laurels.
While the previews I’ve read so far are very limited, I’m not sure there are going to be many “huge” upgrades for the game. That being said, I’d say the games only really need “tweaks” rather than wholesale changes, anyway.
One area that looks to receive a makeover, though, is the game’s faceoff system. Faceoffs have always been pretty lacking in their games; it seems like the winner is determined more by an invisible coin toss than anything else. (Of course, faceoffs are basically a 50-50 proposition in real life, but video games should always test your skills, right?).
It seems like the company is taking some steps to make the faceoff side more realistic or at least more nuanced. The video game channel G4 provides more on the new system, plus a few other tweaks in their “first look” preview.
The game will have much-improved face-off control, offering players several different grips, as well as actual stick control during those moments with the right thumbstick. Also new to the game this year will be the addition of the entire 60-team Canadian Hockey League, as well as the most-requested feature from players: broken sticks. Now you can break sticks, and heads, as much as the game will allow.
(Quick aside: broken sticks? Sounds like that might lead to some broken controllers. Definitely not from me, though, because I’m an adult and never get mad at video games. Yup.)
Finally, here is a video that details how Jarret Stoll helped the development team improve its faceoff mechanics. It’s funny that they used Stoll because the Los Angeles Kings center is one of my go-to guys in the digital circle, aside from maybe Rod Brind’amour and Manny Malhotra. Check out the video below for more on how he helped. (Plus, Heidi Androl is involved. She’s pretty cool.)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)