Jun 9, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
This is one that the Philadelphia Flyers have to win. Obviously.
is this a game that the Chicago Blackhawks can afford to lose?
first thought is that these teams have been so good at home in this
series that it’s very likely the Flyers win tonight. Going to Game 7,
however, won’t be all that horrible for the Hawks considering just how
well they’ve played at the United Center. A loss tonight won’t be the
end of the world, especially considering the struggles of the Flyers in
Of course, logic and wisdom say otherwise.
would be great to see the Hawks hoist the Cup in front of the home
crowd, you know that’s not exactly what they would prefer to do. When
you are facing the Philadelphia Flyers, conventional wisdom says to
never, ever give them another chance.
Losing tonight at the
Wachovia Center would do just that. Forget that the Hawks have yet to
lose in this series at home; we’re talking about one of the most
resilient teams in the NHL, perhaps one of the most resilient we’ve seen
in a very long time. Giving the Flyers a shot to win the series is
asking for a world of hurt.
The Flyers are always at their best
when their backs are against the wall. The team finds a way to buckle
down, to get charged up in front of their own fans and find a way to win
against a superior and more talented opponent. Is that the sort of team
you allow to head back to Chicago with a chance to actually win the
The Flyers have already won a Game 7, doing so in
historic fashion. I’d be wary, if I were the Hawks. Win this now, on the
road, and never allow this team another chance to beat you.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (97)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games