Jun 9, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
This is one that the Philadelphia Flyers have to win. Obviously.
is this a game that the Chicago Blackhawks can afford to lose?
first thought is that these teams have been so good at home in this
series that it’s very likely the Flyers win tonight. Going to Game 7,
however, won’t be all that horrible for the Hawks considering just how
well they’ve played at the United Center. A loss tonight won’t be the
end of the world, especially considering the struggles of the Flyers in
Of course, logic and wisdom say otherwise.
would be great to see the Hawks hoist the Cup in front of the home
crowd, you know that’s not exactly what they would prefer to do. When
you are facing the Philadelphia Flyers, conventional wisdom says to
never, ever give them another chance.
Losing tonight at the
Wachovia Center would do just that. Forget that the Hawks have yet to
lose in this series at home; we’re talking about one of the most
resilient teams in the NHL, perhaps one of the most resilient we’ve seen
in a very long time. Giving the Flyers a shot to win the series is
asking for a world of hurt.
The Flyers are always at their best
when their backs are against the wall. The team finds a way to buckle
down, to get charged up in front of their own fans and find a way to win
against a superior and more talented opponent. Is that the sort of team
you allow to head back to Chicago with a chance to actually win the
The Flyers have already won a Game 7, doing so in
historic fashion. I’d be wary, if I were the Hawks. Win this now, on the
road, and never allow this team another chance to beat you.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)