Jun 9, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
You’re (probably) aware that the Philadelphia Flyers already made the decision to start Michael Leighton instead of Brian Boucher for what could be their last playoff game of 2009-10 tonight. So, on some level, the “drama” is gone from the debate – although the quiet pro-Boucher minority might come out of the woodwork if Leighton struggles.
Still, we decided to poll PHT readers to see if the hockey public agreed with the choice to make Leighton the starter. The results, as you can see below (click to enlarge), are staggeringly in favor of Leighton. Really, I’m impressed by just how huge the gulf is between the two goalies.
Now, let’s take a look at Leighton and Boucher’s stats, side-by-side.
First, Michael Leighton’s playoff production (via ESPN)
Next, Brian Boucher’s playoff production: (via ESPN as well)
So Boucher played in 12 games and started 10 while Leighton played in 13 games and started 12.
My viewpoint of an “average” start is a save percentage of at least 90 percent. Boucher’s been over 90 percent in five games, with two shutouts and went 6-6 (although he received two losses during relief duty in the Stanley Cup finals, which seems kind of unfair). Leighton hit the 90-or-better mark in 8 games, with three shutouts and went 8-2.
Overall, I don’t think it’s that tough of a decision. Maybe it would be a little spicier if I took a “devil’s advocate” stance and said Boucher would be the starter, but I’ll leave that to someone else.
That’s not to take anything away from Boucher, though. If nothing else, Boucher showed that he has a place in the NHL and re-affirmed the fact he’s among the league’s most reliable backups. It’s pretty clear to me, though, that he should be just that tonight: a backup.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)