Jun 8, 2010, 7:32 PM EDT
According to The Buffalo News, the Buffalo Sabres have decided to
stop talks with 2009 first round draft pick Zack Kassian, after last
week’s news broke that Kassian had been arrested for assault outside a
GM Darcy Regier, courtesy of John Vogl:
“It’s obviously not something we condone,” Regier said. “It’s
unfortunate. I happen to
believe Zack’s a good kid. He just put himself in a position that going
forward you can’t put
yourself in those types of positions. It’s a learning process.
“It obviously, by his own admission, wasn’t a smart thing for him to do.
It caught a wave.
They won the Memorial Cup. He was out with some of his [Windsor]
teammates, and he’s the big
guy there, getting challenged and egged on, and those are things you
have to learn to walk
away from. You’re not on the ice. You can’t take that position.
“We’re going to continue to work with him. I told him that on one hand
there’s no way we’re
going to abandon him, we’re going to help him, but he’s got some work to
do on the other
Kassian was a highly regard prospect last summer, after putting up 24
goals and 63 points for the Peterborough Petes of the OHL. His
combination of size (6-3, 215) and scoring and playmaking ability,
especially as a right hander, had him very high on many scouts’ draft
charts. He eventually went 13th overall to the Sabres.
He’s been in trouble a few times this season, however, and scored
just 12 goals and 31 points this past season between Peterborough and
the Windsor Spitfires. He was in trouble with his team after missing
curfew and was suspended 20 games by the OHL for a dangerous hit.
With this latest transgression, combined with his drop off in
production, it’s perfectly understandable that the Sabres would hold off
on giving Kassian an entry-level contract. He still has one year of
eligibility left with the OHL, and there is no rush to get him signed
Of course, he could get things figured out this summer and lead the
OHL is scoring next season. Then the Sabres might not get the deal they
would be certain to get now.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 5
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)