Jun 8, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Current Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff, one of several inductees expected on hand for the announcement, will give remarks on behalf of the class. Ruff is the longest tenured coach in the NHL and enjoyed a 13 year NHL playing career with the Sabres and New York Rangers prior to being named Buffalo’s bench boss.
A former Buffalo Bill, and a host of local legends, highlight the class of 13 new inductees into the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame.
Joining Ruff are Steve Christie (Football), brothers Darris and Rich Kilgour (Lacrosse), Dr. Daniel P. Starr (Athletic Administrator), Gail Maloney (Coach/Athletic Administrator), Whitey Martin (Basketball), George Breen (Swimming) and Charlie Dingboom (Coach).
Despite never winning a Stanley Cup, Ruff is far and away the league’s most tenured coach. He’s been behind the bench longer than the existence of some of its franchises. Only Barry Trotz can compete – to some extent – with Ruff’s incredible longevity as an NHL team’s head coach.
Just looking at the head coaching vacancies around the NHL, it’s mind blowing just how much job security Ruff enjoys. He’s been through some trying times with the Sabres franchise. The club fought off bankruptcy concerns, the Brett Hull “foot in the crease” controversy and the departure of Chris Drury and Danny Briere during his 13 seasons.
I don’t know if it’s unusually high loyalty from the club’s ownership or Ruff’s ability to adapt to an ever-changing league, but his lengthy stay behind Buffalo’s bench is an impressive accomplishment. He deserves this recognition.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)