Jun 8, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
First*, there was “Cindy” Crosby. Now, the Chicago Tribune presents the latest hockey makeover(?): “Chrissy” Pronger.
* – OK, that’s definitely NOT the first case of an athlete’s name being “feminized” but work with me here, folks.
If you have an aversion to clicking, the link above captures a Photoshop job by the newspaper that superimposes the legs of a figure skater (one would assume) wearing an orange skirt onto the body of the towering Philadelphia Flyers defenseman. There’s also the classy on-liner “Looks like Tarzan, skates like Jane.”
Wow. Frankly, this is the kind of thing you’d expect to come out of someone’s mother’s basement, right? Obviously, the newspaper is far from serious about the poster. There’s even a little “info graphic” that includes “100%: Chance we’ll change our minds if the Hawks sign him.”
All elbowing aside, while the joke is a bit lacking imagination-wise, it’s a ludicrously amusing image and it will be surreal to see it held up at the United Center if the series reaches a Game 7. If nothing else, this strange decision shows just how hockey-crazed the city of Chicago is right now.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires