Jun 8, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
First*, there was “Cindy” Crosby. Now, the Chicago Tribune presents the latest hockey makeover(?): “Chrissy” Pronger.
* – OK, that’s definitely NOT the first case of an athlete’s name being “feminized” but work with me here, folks.
If you have an aversion to clicking, the link above captures a Photoshop job by the newspaper that superimposes the legs of a figure skater (one would assume) wearing an orange skirt onto the body of the towering Philadelphia Flyers defenseman. There’s also the classy on-liner “Looks like Tarzan, skates like Jane.”
Wow. Frankly, this is the kind of thing you’d expect to come out of someone’s mother’s basement, right? Obviously, the newspaper is far from serious about the poster. There’s even a little “info graphic” that includes “100%: Chance we’ll change our minds if the Hawks sign him.”
All elbowing aside, while the joke is a bit lacking imagination-wise, it’s a ludicrously amusing image and it will be surreal to see it held up at the United Center if the series reaches a Game 7. If nothing else, this strange decision shows just how hockey-crazed the city of Chicago is right now.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)