Jun 8, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
As I discussed last week, the Colorado Avalanche might need a new owner – though that owner might only have a different first name – if current owner Stan Korenke’s bid to own the NFL’s St. Louis Rams goes through. The Denver Post expands on that topic today.
Stan Kroenke intends to keep ownership of the NHL’s Avalanche and the NBA’s Nuggets within his family, as well as own the NFL’s St. Louis Rams, he made clear in a statement Monday. Kroenke also made his first public comments about transferring ownership of the Nuggets to his son, Josh.
“Our son Josh has been involved with many of our organizations for several years and that family continuity remains a priority,” Kroenke said in a statement to The Denver Post. “My family looks forward to owning the Rams, Nuggets and Avalanche for years to come while being compliant with all stipulations set by the NFL. Our family remains committed to fans in St. Louis and Denver.”
Kroenke will transfer some or all of his ownership of the Nuggets to his 30-year-old son, who works in the team’s front office. It is unclear how Kroenke will handle the ownership of the Avs, though it is possible he could pass that ownership to his son or possibly to his wife.
Overall, it’s good news if the Avalanche can stay in (just about) the same hands. It sounds like that will be the case, but you never know for sure until these things are settled.
One “pro” is that the Post states that Kroenke is respected in ownership circles in all three major sports leagues. If this were, say, Mike Cuban or Jim Balsillie, maybe this would seem less like a formality than a bit of “blacklisting.”
Now, it’s no guarantee that this situation is rectified, though. We’ll keep our eyes on news regarding the Avs ownership situation and pass it along to you as it comes our way.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)