Jun 8, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
As I discussed last week, the Colorado Avalanche might need a new owner – though that owner might only have a different first name – if current owner Stan Korenke’s bid to own the NFL’s St. Louis Rams goes through. The Denver Post expands on that topic today.
Stan Kroenke intends to keep ownership of the NHL’s Avalanche and the NBA’s Nuggets within his family, as well as own the NFL’s St. Louis Rams, he made clear in a statement Monday. Kroenke also made his first public comments about transferring ownership of the Nuggets to his son, Josh.
“Our son Josh has been involved with many of our organizations for several years and that family continuity remains a priority,” Kroenke said in a statement to The Denver Post. “My family looks forward to owning the Rams, Nuggets and Avalanche for years to come while being compliant with all stipulations set by the NFL. Our family remains committed to fans in St. Louis and Denver.”
Kroenke will transfer some or all of his ownership of the Nuggets to his 30-year-old son, who works in the team’s front office. It is unclear how Kroenke will handle the ownership of the Avs, though it is possible he could pass that ownership to his son or possibly to his wife.
Overall, it’s good news if the Avalanche can stay in (just about) the same hands. It sounds like that will be the case, but you never know for sure until these things are settled.
One “pro” is that the Post states that Kroenke is respected in ownership circles in all three major sports leagues. If this were, say, Mike Cuban or Jim Balsillie, maybe this would seem less like a formality than a bit of “blacklisting.”
Now, it’s no guarantee that this situation is rectified, though. We’ll keep our eyes on news regarding the Avs ownership situation and pass it along to you as it comes our way.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)