Jun 7, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
This weekend, I speculated where Ilya Kovalchuk might end up. One of the possible landing spots – at least according to my guesses – could be in the Kontinental Hockey League. My reasoning is simple: it’s Kovalchuk’s home country and the KHL could give him more money than any NHL team (conceivably) could.
Well, according to some rumors – and let’s make this clear, the reports aren’t verified – there is one KHL team already gearing up to go after Kovalchuk in a big way. Russian newspaper Sports-Express reports that the KHL team SKA St. Petersburg wants to offer the high-scoring winger crazy money this summer. (source: Dan Robson of CBC Sports)
Reports say Ilya Kovalchuk will be offered a whopping contract to join SKA St. Petersburg of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) next season.
Sport-Express, a Russian newspaper, reported that the team plans to make the New Jersey Devils left winger an offer worth $42 million US over three years. The reports have not be verified.
Now, again, this is pure rumor. They haven’t even officially extended the offer.
Still, that hypothetical contract would net Kovalchuk $14 million per season. That’s more than $5 million per year than Alex Ovechkin, the NHL’s highest-paid player, is making right now. That’s a lot of clams.
The KHL keeps resembling a Russian WHA, so perhaps Kovalchuk will become their Bobby Hull.
No doubt about it, Kovalchuk’s contract situation – whether he signs with an NHL team or someone in the KHL – will be one of the biggest stories of the summer. We’re clearly in the “speculation” period of this story since free agency day (July 1) is still a few weeks away.
Pro Hockey Talk will guide you the whole way with rumors, analysis and cheesy jokes.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)