Jun 7, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
Crafty forward Ray Whitney refused to waive his no-trade clause during the trade deadline, making it certain that he’d finish the 2009-10 season with the Carolina Hurricanes. Perhaps the feelings of keeping “the Wizard” in Carolina aren’t mutual, though, because Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford says Whitney is likely to become an unrestricted free agent (according to TSN).
On Monday, Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News Observer that he does not expect the 38-year old to re-sign with the ‘Canes prior to the July 1st deadline when Whitney can become an unrestricted free agent.
“I think it will be difficult with where he will be at, contract-wise,” Rutherford told the NewsObserver. “I expect him to go into July (and the free-agent market). It appears that’s the way it’s going to go.”
It will be interesting to see which way Whitney will want to go. He could either go the “cheap veteran on an awesome team” route if he desires another Cup or just take the most money from a wayward team like the Atlanta Thrashers or the Florida Panthers. (Just like his old teammate, Cory Stillman!)
“The Wizard” is an aging player who plays a one-dimensional game at this point in his career (apparently his “spells” don’t work as well in the defensive end). His 58-point output is his lowest total since he only had 55 in 2005-06 – and he only played 63 games that year.
Warts aside, Whitney can make plays happen, especially on the powerplay. If he goes that “cheap veteran on an awesome team” route, he could be a valuable depth forward on a good, cash-strapped team. He’s gone from “underrated” to “limited” but should still have some seekers this summer.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)