Jun 7, 2010, 6:53 PM EDT
You want proof that things move quickly sometimes when searching for a head coach, look no further than what the Columbus Blue Jackets are doing today. Just a short while ago, we reported to you that AHL Hamilton Bulldogs coach Guy Boucher was turning down Columbus’ offer to be their head coach to remain in the Montreal organization. Now, it appears that Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson has moved on to the next choice on his list according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
#CBJ will introduce coach Scott Arniel at 3 p.m. on Tuesday
The 48 year-old Arniel has been head coach of the AHL’s Manitoba Moose (affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) the last four seasons, taking them to the playoffs each season and reaching the Calder Cup final last year. Arniel was also an assistant with the Buffalo Sabres for three seasons under Lindy Ruff before taking the head coaching position with the Moose. The guy knows his way around the game by now and having four years to prepare for the NHL should do him well. Getting three years of study under Lindy Ruff shouldn’t hurt either as Ruff is the longest-tenured head coach in the league.
The Blue Jackets hiring of Arniel now puts the Tampa Bay Lightning, Atlanta Thrashers and New Jersey Devils on the clock to hire a new head coach.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 4
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 34
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)