Jun 7, 2010, 6:53 PM EDT
You want proof that things move quickly sometimes when searching for a head coach, look no further than what the Columbus Blue Jackets are doing today. Just a short while ago, we reported to you that AHL Hamilton Bulldogs coach Guy Boucher was turning down Columbus’ offer to be their head coach to remain in the Montreal organization. Now, it appears that Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson has moved on to the next choice on his list according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
#CBJ will introduce coach Scott Arniel at 3 p.m. on Tuesday
The 48 year-old Arniel has been head coach of the AHL’s Manitoba Moose (affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) the last four seasons, taking them to the playoffs each season and reaching the Calder Cup final last year. Arniel was also an assistant with the Buffalo Sabres for three seasons under Lindy Ruff before taking the head coaching position with the Moose. The guy knows his way around the game by now and having four years to prepare for the NHL should do him well. Getting three years of study under Lindy Ruff shouldn’t hurt either as Ruff is the longest-tenured head coach in the league.
The Blue Jackets hiring of Arniel now puts the Tampa Bay Lightning, Atlanta Thrashers and New Jersey Devils on the clock to hire a new head coach.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 8
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)