Jun 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
When you see a score like 7-4, it’s difficult to imagine that a controversial call really could have made a difference. Whether it would have made a difference or not, it looks like the referees missed a high-sticking penalty in the third period. As you can see from this video capture, Duncan Keith caught Danny Briere with a high stick.
Still, you never know with hockey and momentum. Flyers coach Peter Laviolette, for one, thought it was a blunder.
“I thought it was a penalty. At first glance, I almost thought it was intentional. The puck wasn’t even around,” Laviolette said. “Looking at it again, it should have been a four-minute penalty. You have to be in control of your stick out there. Dangerously close to a severe eye injury.”
“They told me that it was a follow-through on the puck. I’m not sure I understood the call. I thought it should have been a four-minute penalty.”
On the other hand, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville pointed out that the Flyers probably got away with a high stick on Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell.
“I think Soupy might have had the same high stick and he was cut too. Apples and oranges,” Quenneville said. “At the end of the day, it probably came out in the wash.”
Some might say it was a makeup non-call, but either way it did look like a mistake. What do you think? Should it have been a penalty, a double-minor or nothing at all? Let us know in the comments.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)