Jun 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
When you see a score like 7-4, it’s difficult to imagine that a controversial call really could have made a difference. Whether it would have made a difference or not, it looks like the referees missed a high-sticking penalty in the third period. As you can see from this video capture, Duncan Keith caught Danny Briere with a high stick.
Still, you never know with hockey and momentum. Flyers coach Peter Laviolette, for one, thought it was a blunder.
“I thought it was a penalty. At first glance, I almost thought it was intentional. The puck wasn’t even around,” Laviolette said. “Looking at it again, it should have been a four-minute penalty. You have to be in control of your stick out there. Dangerously close to a severe eye injury.”
“They told me that it was a follow-through on the puck. I’m not sure I understood the call. I thought it should have been a four-minute penalty.”
On the other hand, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville pointed out that the Flyers probably got away with a high stick on Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell.
“I think Soupy might have had the same high stick and he was cut too. Apples and oranges,” Quenneville said. “At the end of the day, it probably came out in the wash.”
Some might say it was a makeup non-call, but either way it did look like a mistake. What do you think? Should it have been a penalty, a double-minor or nothing at all? Let us know in the comments.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 36
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)