Jun 6, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Professional sports feature plenty of glamorous jobs. In football, there’s quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers. While even some of the best hockey players get their hands dirty, there’s no doubt that No. 1 centers are the Joe Montanas of the game. Meanwhile, the John Maddens (Chicago’s Madden, of course, not the boom-tacular football guy) of the world are the puck-based blue collar workers.
Still, those guys do get paid a lot of money too. (Need more proof that sandpaper guys get some green? Just look at the contract Dennis “Pain Sponge” Seidenberg’s signed yesterday.)
Instead, one of the true “thank-less” jobs in sports is that of a referee. They’re like hockey players who can never achieve a “plus” in a game; whenever they make a great call, they’re just doing their job. However, if they make a mistake or call the game to tightly or loosely, my goodness do those boo birds ascend.
NHL Network plans to air a 30-minute documentary that gives a brief glimpse into the life of those tragic zebras. Here’s more from the Network’s press release.
NHL Network will carry the broadcast premiere of Behind the Stripes: A Ref’s Life, the National Hockey League announced today. The 30-minute original documentary, produced by the NHL’s Officiating Department and NHL Network will debut on Monday, June 7 at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Behind the Stripes: A Ref’s Life, documents the personal journey of two NHL referees with a behind the scenes look at their profession. It’s a story about one referee who has realized his dream and the other who is chasing his. Veteran referee Bill McCreary and rookie Ghislain Hebert share their on and off ice experiences, challenges and accomplishments during the 2009-10 season.
Will the documentary stop some hockey fans from howling at the next on-ice “injustice”? Probably not, but maybe it’ll make them hesitate to throw debris on the ice. If nothing else, it will be an interesting opportunity to peek behind the scenes of one of the under-appreciated roles in sports.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)