Jun 6, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
It was a shooting gallery of a second period, but I get the feeling that this is the style of game the Chicago Blackhawks prefer. Each team scored two goals, making it a 5-2 game going into the third period.
If you’re a fan of defensive hockey, this isn’t the game for you. It also hasn’t been a great night for Chris Pronger so far, as Brent Seabrook’s PP goal went off his skate during the first period and he took the penalty that allowed Dustin Byfuglien to score a PP goal to boot. In fact, Pronger was on the ice for Chicago’s first four goals. Byfuglien is making an impact on this game so far, with one goal and two assists plus some nice hits through two periods.
Both teams are taking advantage of some defensive lapses. Scott Hartnell scored a goal on a rebound that was left alone for a disturbing amount of time in Chicago’s crease. Kimmo Timonen’s tally came on a broken play as the offensively talented defenseman was left all alone with plenty of net to shoot at.
Byfuglien’s goal was a thing of beauty, though, as the Blackhawks powerplay moved the puck around brilliantly to set him up for a nice one-timer. People in the live chat astutely pointed out that it was easier for Byfuglien to get in front of the net and make that play happen because Pronger was in the penalty box, but it was still a pretty one.
So, the Hawks hold a three goal lead going into the third. That’s a big mountain to climb for Philly. Can they do it? Stay tuned with out chat and the game, live on NBC right now.
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 15
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 57
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles