Jun 6, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
It was a shooting gallery of a second period, but I get the feeling that this is the style of game the Chicago Blackhawks prefer. Each team scored two goals, making it a 5-2 game going into the third period.
If you’re a fan of defensive hockey, this isn’t the game for you. It also hasn’t been a great night for Chris Pronger so far, as Brent Seabrook’s PP goal went off his skate during the first period and he took the penalty that allowed Dustin Byfuglien to score a PP goal to boot. In fact, Pronger was on the ice for Chicago’s first four goals. Byfuglien is making an impact on this game so far, with one goal and two assists plus some nice hits through two periods.
Both teams are taking advantage of some defensive lapses. Scott Hartnell scored a goal on a rebound that was left alone for a disturbing amount of time in Chicago’s crease. Kimmo Timonen’s tally came on a broken play as the offensively talented defenseman was left all alone with plenty of net to shoot at.
Byfuglien’s goal was a thing of beauty, though, as the Blackhawks powerplay moved the puck around brilliantly to set him up for a nice one-timer. People in the live chat astutely pointed out that it was easier for Byfuglien to get in front of the net and make that play happen because Pronger was in the penalty box, but it was still a pretty one.
So, the Hawks hold a three goal lead going into the third. That’s a big mountain to climb for Philly. Can they do it? Stay tuned with out chat and the game, live on NBC right now.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)