Jun 6, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
It was a shooting gallery of a second period, but I get the feeling that this is the style of game the Chicago Blackhawks prefer. Each team scored two goals, making it a 5-2 game going into the third period.
If you’re a fan of defensive hockey, this isn’t the game for you. It also hasn’t been a great night for Chris Pronger so far, as Brent Seabrook’s PP goal went off his skate during the first period and he took the penalty that allowed Dustin Byfuglien to score a PP goal to boot. In fact, Pronger was on the ice for Chicago’s first four goals. Byfuglien is making an impact on this game so far, with one goal and two assists plus some nice hits through two periods.
Both teams are taking advantage of some defensive lapses. Scott Hartnell scored a goal on a rebound that was left alone for a disturbing amount of time in Chicago’s crease. Kimmo Timonen’s tally came on a broken play as the offensively talented defenseman was left all alone with plenty of net to shoot at.
Byfuglien’s goal was a thing of beauty, though, as the Blackhawks powerplay moved the puck around brilliantly to set him up for a nice one-timer. People in the live chat astutely pointed out that it was easier for Byfuglien to get in front of the net and make that play happen because Pronger was in the penalty box, but it was still a pretty one.
So, the Hawks hold a three goal lead going into the third. That’s a big mountain to climb for Philly. Can they do it? Stay tuned with out chat and the game, live on NBC right now.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 27
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54