Jun 6, 2010, 10:06 PM EST
It was a shooting gallery of a second period, but I get the feeling that this is the style of game the Chicago Blackhawks prefer. Each team scored two goals, making it a 5-2 game going into the third period.
If you’re a fan of defensive hockey, this isn’t the game for you. It also hasn’t been a great night for Chris Pronger so far, as Brent Seabrook’s PP goal went off his skate during the first period and he took the penalty that allowed Dustin Byfuglien to score a PP goal to boot. In fact, Pronger was on the ice for Chicago’s first four goals. Byfuglien is making an impact on this game so far, with one goal and two assists plus some nice hits through two periods.
Both teams are taking advantage of some defensive lapses. Scott Hartnell scored a goal on a rebound that was left alone for a disturbing amount of time in Chicago’s crease. Kimmo Timonen’s tally came on a broken play as the offensively talented defenseman was left all alone with plenty of net to shoot at.
Byfuglien’s goal was a thing of beauty, though, as the Blackhawks powerplay moved the puck around brilliantly to set him up for a nice one-timer. People in the live chat astutely pointed out that it was easier for Byfuglien to get in front of the net and make that play happen because Pronger was in the penalty box, but it was still a pretty one.
So, the Hawks hold a three goal lead going into the third. That’s a big mountain to climb for Philly. Can they do it? Stay tuned with out chat and the game, live on NBC right now.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)