Jun 6, 2010, 9:00 PM EST
This is the Chicago Blackhawks team I expected to see. This is the group that wore down the Nashville Predators, befuddled the Vancouver Canucks and swept the San Jose Sharks out of the Western Conference finals. I’m not sure what happened to them – even in the first two games they won – but let there be no doubt that this group is back.
Brent Seabrook scored the first goal on the powerplay, with a shot that bounced off of Chris Pronger’s skate. The Blackhawks would have had another powerplay with about five minutes left in the first period, but Dave Bolland scored a goal during a delayed penalty off of the back of Michael Leighont’s foot. Finally, Kris Versteeg scored a beauty to give the team a 3-0 lead. It seems like luck is going Chicago’s way right now, but they’re making things happen.
Talk of pulling Michael Leighton already picked up in our live chat, so it will be interesting to see if the beleaguered (but home ice friendly) netminder comes back out for the second period. This is a fairly big lead, but let’s not forget that the Flyers overcame a 3-0 deficit in Game 7 of the Boston series in which they were down three games to none. The Flyers are not a bunch that flinches in the face of long odds.
We’ll see if Chicago keeps applying pressure or if they back off and give Philadelphia a chance to get back in this one. Don’t assume this one’s over just because the Blackhawks came out so strong.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)