Jun 5, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
While new Lightning general manger Steve Yzerman has made it clear that he’s not going to go over the top in taking people from the Red Wings organization, he’s certainly happy to snag people he knows well, as Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times tells us.
So much for not raiding the Red Wings. Reports out of Detroit say the Tampa Bay Lightning has hired Pat Verbeek as a pro scout. Verbeek spent the past four years as a scout in Detroit. It is the first hire for new Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, and it could preface another if Yzerman can convince the Wings’ capologist Ryan Martin to come to Tampa Bay.
Verbeek is forever known as the “little ball of hate” thanks to a stellar pro career that saw him score as many big goals as it did see him fight people. Verbeek was also a teammate of Yzerman’s for a short time in Detroit from 1999-2001. Bad timing for Verbeek as he missed out winning a Stanley Cup with the Red Wings there. I don’t know that Stevie Y feels like he owes Verbeek one, but with a track record like what Verbeek has, perhaps Lightning enforcer Zenon Konopka better watch his back while roaming the halls in Tampa.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)