Jun 5, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
While new Lightning general manger Steve Yzerman has made it clear that he’s not going to go over the top in taking people from the Red Wings organization, he’s certainly happy to snag people he knows well, as Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times tells us.
So much for not raiding the Red Wings. Reports out of Detroit say the Tampa Bay Lightning has hired Pat Verbeek as a pro scout. Verbeek spent the past four years as a scout in Detroit. It is the first hire for new Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, and it could preface another if Yzerman can convince the Wings’ capologist Ryan Martin to come to Tampa Bay.
Verbeek is forever known as the “little ball of hate” thanks to a stellar pro career that saw him score as many big goals as it did see him fight people. Verbeek was also a teammate of Yzerman’s for a short time in Detroit from 1999-2001. Bad timing for Verbeek as he missed out winning a Stanley Cup with the Red Wings there. I don’t know that Stevie Y feels like he owes Verbeek one, but with a track record like what Verbeek has, perhaps Lightning enforcer Zenon Konopka better watch his back while roaming the halls in Tampa.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54