Jun 5, 2010, 9:48 PM EST
While new Lightning general manger Steve Yzerman has made it clear that he’s not going to go over the top in taking people from the Red Wings organization, he’s certainly happy to snag people he knows well, as Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times tells us.
So much for not raiding the Red Wings. Reports out of Detroit say the Tampa Bay Lightning has hired Pat Verbeek as a pro scout. Verbeek spent the past four years as a scout in Detroit. It is the first hire for new Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, and it could preface another if Yzerman can convince the Wings’ capologist Ryan Martin to come to Tampa Bay.
Verbeek is forever known as the “little ball of hate” thanks to a stellar pro career that saw him score as many big goals as it did see him fight people. Verbeek was also a teammate of Yzerman’s for a short time in Detroit from 1999-2001. Bad timing for Verbeek as he missed out winning a Stanley Cup with the Red Wings there. I don’t know that Stevie Y feels like he owes Verbeek one, but with a track record like what Verbeek has, perhaps Lightning enforcer Zenon Konopka better watch his back while roaming the halls in Tampa.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)