Jun 5, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
While new Lightning general manger Steve Yzerman has made it clear that he’s not going to go over the top in taking people from the Red Wings organization, he’s certainly happy to snag people he knows well, as Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times tells us.
So much for not raiding the Red Wings. Reports out of Detroit say the Tampa Bay Lightning has hired Pat Verbeek as a pro scout. Verbeek spent the past four years as a scout in Detroit. It is the first hire for new Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman, and it could preface another if Yzerman can convince the Wings’ capologist Ryan Martin to come to Tampa Bay.
Verbeek is forever known as the “little ball of hate” thanks to a stellar pro career that saw him score as many big goals as it did see him fight people. Verbeek was also a teammate of Yzerman’s for a short time in Detroit from 1999-2001. Bad timing for Verbeek as he missed out winning a Stanley Cup with the Red Wings there. I don’t know that Stevie Y feels like he owes Verbeek one, but with a track record like what Verbeek has, perhaps Lightning enforcer Zenon Konopka better watch his back while roaming the halls in Tampa.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7