Jun 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Fans of the Philadelphia Flyers developed quite a reputation as some of the most brutal in all of American sports. (I make sure to mention “American,” since soccer hooligans will sometimes … you know, kill people and stuff.)
But there’s one area where – at least compared to Chicago Blackhawks fans – they fall short: noise. After two games in Chicago and two games in Philadelphia, NHL.com’s studies show that the deep dish crowd beat the cheesesteak crew.
While Chicago’s highest levels were 121 dB and 122 dB, Philadelphia’s peaks were 114 dB in Game 3 and 118 dB in Game 4. The loudest moment of Game 4 came when Jeff Carter scored the game-sealing empty net goal, driving fans into a frenzy that sounded like a shotgun.
Now, there is one big factor to remember: Chicago’s United Center is even bigger than Philadelphia’s Wachovia Center. While you can make “quality over quantity” arguments day and night, the more screaming fans you have the higher decibel rates you’re likely to achieve. And, as I pointed out in the last look at the competing noise-makers, both fan bases create noise that can cause some genuine damage (or at least discomfort) to your ears. So there’s no shame in “losing” this contest.
Either way, this is a clash of two passionate groups in some of hockey’s best American markets. The series might be tied 2-2, but so far, Blackhawks fans won at least one “battle.”
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)