Jun 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Fans of the Philadelphia Flyers developed quite a reputation as some of the most brutal in all of American sports. (I make sure to mention “American,” since soccer hooligans will sometimes … you know, kill people and stuff.)
But there’s one area where – at least compared to Chicago Blackhawks fans – they fall short: noise. After two games in Chicago and two games in Philadelphia, NHL.com’s studies show that the deep dish crowd beat the cheesesteak crew.
While Chicago’s highest levels were 121 dB and 122 dB, Philadelphia’s peaks were 114 dB in Game 3 and 118 dB in Game 4. The loudest moment of Game 4 came when Jeff Carter scored the game-sealing empty net goal, driving fans into a frenzy that sounded like a shotgun.
Now, there is one big factor to remember: Chicago’s United Center is even bigger than Philadelphia’s Wachovia Center. While you can make “quality over quantity” arguments day and night, the more screaming fans you have the higher decibel rates you’re likely to achieve. And, as I pointed out in the last look at the competing noise-makers, both fan bases create noise that can cause some genuine damage (or at least discomfort) to your ears. So there’s no shame in “losing” this contest.
Either way, this is a clash of two passionate groups in some of hockey’s best American markets. The series might be tied 2-2, but so far, Blackhawks fans won at least one “battle.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)