Jun 5, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
Look, it’s no secret that I admire the work of Boston Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg. After all, I did coin what I still hope will be his nickname, “The Pain Sponge” after realizing that – along with leading the NHL in blocked shots this season – he was also one of the league’s most frequently checked players.
Even so, I have to admit that I was surprised the Bruins signed Seidenberg to such an expensive four-year, $13 million contract extension today (according to TSN). That being said, it’s a charming venture for the agony absorber and it stands to mention that the bruised blueliner had a career year with 28 assists and 32 points. He could do a little bit of everything, but it’s still stunning that he’ll be making more than $3 million a year (on average).
Seidenberg is 28-years-old so he should still be able to play at a similar (though maybe not as offensively productive) level through his contract, unless is ability to accept anguish declines with injuries.
Signing Seidenberg to that contract brings the Bruins cap space down to about $4.4 million, at least if my quick CapGeek.com subtraction is correct. If, say, Tyler Seguin makes the roster, the team might not have much breathing room but they should be able to ice a team without making moves they’d rather avoid. (Then again, there’s always the “trade Thomas?” debate.)
It was a bumpy ride for the Boston Bruins last year and “The Pain Sponge” stood as a microcosm of that season. The team clearly wants to keep the tough German on a roster that might just do some damage … to the opposition, that is.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 4
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53