Jun 4, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
With all due respect to Patrick Kane and Brian Rafalski, no two people contributed more to American hockey in the last season than goalie Ryan Miller and executive Brian Burke. It shouldn’t be too surprising, then, that USA Hockey is honoring both at its President’s Awards Dinner on June 12, part of its 2010 Annual Congress.
Ryan Miller shall be this year’s recipient of the Bob Johnson award, named after the legendary coach nicknamed “Badger.” Along with producing an outstanding NHL season with the Buffalo Sabres (he contributed greatly even when Buffalo faltered in the playoffs, by the way), the American goalie made a name for himself with an outstanding Olympics performance.
Miller posted a tournament-best .946 save percentage in six games and his 1.35 goals-against average is the lowest in U.S. Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team history.
Brian Burke’s “day job” consists of working within the pressure cooker that is the Toronto Maple Leafs organization. The outspoken general manager will receive the Distinguished Achievement Award for his contributions to hockey in the U.S., obviously highlighted by his well-crafted silver medal winning U.S. Olympic team.
It’s great to see the two garner praise and kudos for their great work this season. Perhaps this won’t be the last trophy Miller receives this year since he has a great shot at winning the Vezina Trophy.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)