Jun 4, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
In case you missed yesterday’s news, CBC personality Ron MacLean helped save a man from drowning (our own Joe Yerdon shared his thoughts/jokes here). The initial mental image is a little misleading, or at least it was in my head, as I imagined some Superman scenario in which MacLean did it all by himself … on his lunch break or something. Instead, he was part of a group of people who retrieved a man (rumored to be attempting suicide) from the Delaware River.
Whatever way you slice it, the story is compelling and odd, but also with precedent.
Whenever I hear about a celebrity (or quasi-celebrity) saving a “normal” person’s life, I immediately think of the time former Terrell Owens agent Drew Rosenhaus saved a drowning boy at Disney World.
Rosenhaus, whose hardball negotiating tactics have made him perhaps the league’s most notorious agent, said he was at the Grand Floridian to visit clients and ran to help when he heard screaming after the boy was pulled from the pool.
“I dropped my phone, which is pretty rare,” joked Rosenhaus, who worked as a lifeguard as a youngster. “I was thrilled to help the boy. It was nice to be a good guy for once.”
These stories usually fill me with an odd mixture of conflicting emotions. After reading of these heroics, am I evil for mocking the world’s Rosenhaus types? Perhaps, instead, I’m evil for occasionally wondering if the story was fake altogether. Then I wonder if maybe the bad person mark is hit simply because I haven’t saved anyone’s life.
Hat’s off to MacLean, either way. It’s great to see a big fancy media type get his (or her) hands dirty when everything’s on the line. After all, does it get more “clutch” than helping to save someone’s life?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)