Jun 4, 2010, 9:10 PM EST
Who are these Chicago Blackhawks? Look, I know that the Philadelphia Flyers are on fire right now, but it’s still pretty stunning to see what went on in the first period of this game. Philly is up 3-1 in the first period, and honestly, that score is more than fair considering how much better they’ve been than the visiting Hawks.
Mike Richards began the scoring with a clever takeaway from Niklas Hjalmarsson (though some say the takeaway required a hook) that resulted in a powerplay tally. Next came a great play by James van Riemsdyk, who made things happen to allow Matt Carle to score into a wide open net. Patrick Sharp scored a goal out of nowhere late in the period, but the Flyers answered with only 37 seconds left in the first.
You can’t really pin the big Flyers start on poor goaltending by Antti Niemi, as he’s made some tough saves in this one. Instead, the Blackhawks defense keeps running around in their own zone, making bad passes and generally playing like a team in early season form.
As bad as things have gotten for Chicago, it’s still only a two goal deficit. This team is as explosive and deep as any team in the NHL. They’ve fought their way out of big holes in the Kane-Toews era, so you really can’t count them out just yet.
That being said, it would be wise if the Blackhawks woke up right about now.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)