Jun 4, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
It’s almost as if Game 4 was like a road trip in which a middle aged man tries to drive for 16 hours in one bladder-shredding sitting. Everything was under control for the Philadelphia Flyers, until all of a sudden the game veered off into a very, very dangerous direction. Philadelphia held on, though, and managed to win the game 5-3 after seeing their three-goal lead dry up to just one.
The Flyers carried a 3-1 lead from the first period through the second and made it 4-1 when Ville Leino scored a strange goal on the Blackhawks. Amid talk of pulling Antti Niemi, Chicago looked completely dead. Then, all of a sudden, the Blackhawks received a 5-on-3 and scored without hesitation with less than eight minutes left in the third. Brian Campbell made it a one-goal game three minutes later on another odd goal.
Yet Michael Leighton stood tall when it mattered the most, improving his home playoff record to a staggering 6-0. The Blackhawks put together some nice chances in the final 2:09 until a puck skipped over Duncan Keith’s stick and Jeff Carter scored an easy empty-netter. (As good as Keith was – he even had three assists – my guess is he feels pretty miserable right now.)
The series is now 2-2 and the Blackhawks really must be wondering what happened to their collective mojo. We’ll see if this one goes a full seven games, but no doubt about it this will reach at least a Game 6. Catch the rest of the games on NBC and stay tuned for more coverage, including from Brandon tonight.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)