Jun 4, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
It’s almost as if Game 4 was like a road trip in which a middle aged man tries to drive for 16 hours in one bladder-shredding sitting. Everything was under control for the Philadelphia Flyers, until all of a sudden the game veered off into a very, very dangerous direction. Philadelphia held on, though, and managed to win the game 5-3 after seeing their three-goal lead dry up to just one.
The Flyers carried a 3-1 lead from the first period through the second and made it 4-1 when Ville Leino scored a strange goal on the Blackhawks. Amid talk of pulling Antti Niemi, Chicago looked completely dead. Then, all of a sudden, the Blackhawks received a 5-on-3 and scored without hesitation with less than eight minutes left in the third. Brian Campbell made it a one-goal game three minutes later on another odd goal.
Yet Michael Leighton stood tall when it mattered the most, improving his home playoff record to a staggering 6-0. The Blackhawks put together some nice chances in the final 2:09 until a puck skipped over Duncan Keith’s stick and Jeff Carter scored an easy empty-netter. (As good as Keith was – he even had three assists – my guess is he feels pretty miserable right now.)
The series is now 2-2 and the Blackhawks really must be wondering what happened to their collective mojo. We’ll see if this one goes a full seven games, but no doubt about it this will reach at least a Game 6. Catch the rest of the games on NBC and stay tuned for more coverage, including from Brandon tonight.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)