Jun 4, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
It’s almost as if Game 4 was like a road trip in which a middle aged man tries to drive for 16 hours in one bladder-shredding sitting. Everything was under control for the Philadelphia Flyers, until all of a sudden the game veered off into a very, very dangerous direction. Philadelphia held on, though, and managed to win the game 5-3 after seeing their three-goal lead dry up to just one.
The Flyers carried a 3-1 lead from the first period through the second and made it 4-1 when Ville Leino scored a strange goal on the Blackhawks. Amid talk of pulling Antti Niemi, Chicago looked completely dead. Then, all of a sudden, the Blackhawks received a 5-on-3 and scored without hesitation with less than eight minutes left in the third. Brian Campbell made it a one-goal game three minutes later on another odd goal.
Yet Michael Leighton stood tall when it mattered the most, improving his home playoff record to a staggering 6-0. The Blackhawks put together some nice chances in the final 2:09 until a puck skipped over Duncan Keith’s stick and Jeff Carter scored an easy empty-netter. (As good as Keith was – he even had three assists – my guess is he feels pretty miserable right now.)
The series is now 2-2 and the Blackhawks really must be wondering what happened to their collective mojo. We’ll see if this one goes a full seven games, but no doubt about it this will reach at least a Game 6. Catch the rest of the games on NBC and stay tuned for more coverage, including from Brandon tonight.
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 6
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)