Jun 4, 2010, 11:15 PM EST
It’s almost as if Game 4 was like a road trip in which a middle aged man tries to drive for 16 hours in one bladder-shredding sitting. Everything was under control for the Philadelphia Flyers, until all of a sudden the game veered off into a very, very dangerous direction. Philadelphia held on, though, and managed to win the game 5-3 after seeing their three-goal lead dry up to just one.
The Flyers carried a 3-1 lead from the first period through the second and made it 4-1 when Ville Leino scored a strange goal on the Blackhawks. Amid talk of pulling Antti Niemi, Chicago looked completely dead. Then, all of a sudden, the Blackhawks received a 5-on-3 and scored without hesitation with less than eight minutes left in the third. Brian Campbell made it a one-goal game three minutes later on another odd goal.
Yet Michael Leighton stood tall when it mattered the most, improving his home playoff record to a staggering 6-0. The Blackhawks put together some nice chances in the final 2:09 until a puck skipped over Duncan Keith’s stick and Jeff Carter scored an easy empty-netter. (As good as Keith was – he even had three assists – my guess is he feels pretty miserable right now.)
The series is now 2-2 and the Blackhawks really must be wondering what happened to their collective mojo. We’ll see if this one goes a full seven games, but no doubt about it this will reach at least a Game 6. Catch the rest of the games on NBC and stay tuned for more coverage, including from Brandon tonight.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 5
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)