Jun 4, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
It’s almost as if Game 4 was like a road trip in which a middle aged man tries to drive for 16 hours in one bladder-shredding sitting. Everything was under control for the Philadelphia Flyers, until all of a sudden the game veered off into a very, very dangerous direction. Philadelphia held on, though, and managed to win the game 5-3 after seeing their three-goal lead dry up to just one.
The Flyers carried a 3-1 lead from the first period through the second and made it 4-1 when Ville Leino scored a strange goal on the Blackhawks. Amid talk of pulling Antti Niemi, Chicago looked completely dead. Then, all of a sudden, the Blackhawks received a 5-on-3 and scored without hesitation with less than eight minutes left in the third. Brian Campbell made it a one-goal game three minutes later on another odd goal.
Yet Michael Leighton stood tall when it mattered the most, improving his home playoff record to a staggering 6-0. The Blackhawks put together some nice chances in the final 2:09 until a puck skipped over Duncan Keith’s stick and Jeff Carter scored an easy empty-netter. (As good as Keith was – he even had three assists – my guess is he feels pretty miserable right now.)
The series is now 2-2 and the Blackhawks really must be wondering what happened to their collective mojo. We’ll see if this one goes a full seven games, but no doubt about it this will reach at least a Game 6. Catch the rest of the games on NBC and stay tuned for more coverage, including from Brandon tonight.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)