Jun 4, 2010, 2:36 AM EDT
The Red Wings finalized a two-year contract with free-agent forward Tomas Holmstrom for $3.75 million, the Free Press learned Thursday.
The deal will pay Holmstrom $2.25 million next season, $1.5 million in 2011-12.
The salary-cap hit is $1.875 million a year. Holmstrom is expected to sign today or Monday.
The deal works out to be a good way for the Wings to pay Holmstrom what he’s worth each season and get a cap hit that’s agreeable for what the team needs. As for Holmstrom, his agent is fired up about the deal.
“I’m very excited about it; I know Tomas is, too,” Howard Gourwitz, Holmstrom’s agent, told Booth Newspapers. “It’s a real honor to play for one team your entire career. To have won four Stanley Cups is a dream come true. He’s really excited and he’s proud to stay here.”
Let’s face facts here kids, we knew that Holmstrom wasn’t going anywhere else even though other teams would’ve been more than happy to add a net presence and goalie agitator like Holmstrom to their lineup, they just weren’t going to get that opportunity. Unless Holmstrom finds a way to turn back the clock or develops his inner Chelios, he’s likely to finish his career as a Red Wing.
One other note to make from that last link is that Detroit is now going to focus their attention on retaining Todd Bertuzzi before moving on to their restricted free agents. Who knew that Todd Bertuzzi would find a home after all these years? Wonders may never cease.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 16
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 44
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control