Jun 4, 2010, 2:36 AM EDT
The Red Wings finalized a two-year contract with free-agent forward Tomas Holmstrom for $3.75 million, the Free Press learned Thursday.
The deal will pay Holmstrom $2.25 million next season, $1.5 million in 2011-12.
The salary-cap hit is $1.875 million a year. Holmstrom is expected to sign today or Monday.
The deal works out to be a good way for the Wings to pay Holmstrom what he’s worth each season and get a cap hit that’s agreeable for what the team needs. As for Holmstrom, his agent is fired up about the deal.
“I’m very excited about it; I know Tomas is, too,” Howard Gourwitz, Holmstrom’s agent, told Booth Newspapers. “It’s a real honor to play for one team your entire career. To have won four Stanley Cups is a dream come true. He’s really excited and he’s proud to stay here.”
Let’s face facts here kids, we knew that Holmstrom wasn’t going anywhere else even though other teams would’ve been more than happy to add a net presence and goalie agitator like Holmstrom to their lineup, they just weren’t going to get that opportunity. Unless Holmstrom finds a way to turn back the clock or develops his inner Chelios, he’s likely to finish his career as a Red Wing.
One other note to make from that last link is that Detroit is now going to focus their attention on retaining Todd Bertuzzi before moving on to their restricted free agents. Who knew that Todd Bertuzzi would find a home after all these years? Wonders may never cease.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)