Jun 4, 2010, 2:36 AM EDT
The Red Wings finalized a two-year contract with free-agent forward Tomas Holmstrom for $3.75 million, the Free Press learned Thursday.
The deal will pay Holmstrom $2.25 million next season, $1.5 million in 2011-12.
The salary-cap hit is $1.875 million a year. Holmstrom is expected to sign today or Monday.
The deal works out to be a good way for the Wings to pay Holmstrom what he’s worth each season and get a cap hit that’s agreeable for what the team needs. As for Holmstrom, his agent is fired up about the deal.
“I’m very excited about it; I know Tomas is, too,” Howard Gourwitz, Holmstrom’s agent, told Booth Newspapers. “It’s a real honor to play for one team your entire career. To have won four Stanley Cups is a dream come true. He’s really excited and he’s proud to stay here.”
Let’s face facts here kids, we knew that Holmstrom wasn’t going anywhere else even though other teams would’ve been more than happy to add a net presence and goalie agitator like Holmstrom to their lineup, they just weren’t going to get that opportunity. Unless Holmstrom finds a way to turn back the clock or develops his inner Chelios, he’s likely to finish his career as a Red Wing.
One other note to make from that last link is that Detroit is now going to focus their attention on retaining Todd Bertuzzi before moving on to their restricted free agents. Who knew that Todd Bertuzzi would find a home after all these years? Wonders may never cease.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)