Jun 4, 2010, 2:36 AM EDT
The Red Wings finalized a two-year contract with free-agent forward Tomas Holmstrom for $3.75 million, the Free Press learned Thursday.
The deal will pay Holmstrom $2.25 million next season, $1.5 million in 2011-12.
The salary-cap hit is $1.875 million a year. Holmstrom is expected to sign today or Monday.
The deal works out to be a good way for the Wings to pay Holmstrom what he’s worth each season and get a cap hit that’s agreeable for what the team needs. As for Holmstrom, his agent is fired up about the deal.
“I’m very excited about it; I know Tomas is, too,” Howard Gourwitz, Holmstrom’s agent, told Booth Newspapers. “It’s a real honor to play for one team your entire career. To have won four Stanley Cups is a dream come true. He’s really excited and he’s proud to stay here.”
Let’s face facts here kids, we knew that Holmstrom wasn’t going anywhere else even though other teams would’ve been more than happy to add a net presence and goalie agitator like Holmstrom to their lineup, they just weren’t going to get that opportunity. Unless Holmstrom finds a way to turn back the clock or develops his inner Chelios, he’s likely to finish his career as a Red Wing.
One other note to make from that last link is that Detroit is now going to focus their attention on retaining Todd Bertuzzi before moving on to their restricted free agents. Who knew that Todd Bertuzzi would find a home after all these years? Wonders may never cease.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)