Jun 4, 2010, 2:36 AM EDT
The Red Wings finalized a two-year contract with free-agent forward Tomas Holmstrom for $3.75 million, the Free Press learned Thursday.
The deal will pay Holmstrom $2.25 million next season, $1.5 million in 2011-12.
The salary-cap hit is $1.875 million a year. Holmstrom is expected to sign today or Monday.
The deal works out to be a good way for the Wings to pay Holmstrom what he’s worth each season and get a cap hit that’s agreeable for what the team needs. As for Holmstrom, his agent is fired up about the deal.
“I’m very excited about it; I know Tomas is, too,” Howard Gourwitz, Holmstrom’s agent, told Booth Newspapers. “It’s a real honor to play for one team your entire career. To have won four Stanley Cups is a dream come true. He’s really excited and he’s proud to stay here.”
Let’s face facts here kids, we knew that Holmstrom wasn’t going anywhere else even though other teams would’ve been more than happy to add a net presence and goalie agitator like Holmstrom to their lineup, they just weren’t going to get that opportunity. Unless Holmstrom finds a way to turn back the clock or develops his inner Chelios, he’s likely to finish his career as a Red Wing.
One other note to make from that last link is that Detroit is now going to focus their attention on retaining Todd Bertuzzi before moving on to their restricted free agents. Who knew that Todd Bertuzzi would find a home after all these years? Wonders may never cease.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)