Jun 3, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals elected to make a slew of minor moves during the NHL trade deadline. If you look at it strictly from the perspective of playoff success – rather than the fact that they ran away with the Presidents’ Trophy and put up incredible regular season numbers – then it’s hard to say that those transactions made much of a difference.
It seems that Caps GM George McPhee agrees with this sentiment, at least in part. He told Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post that the team won’t look to re-sign trade deadline acquisitions Scott Walker and Joe Corvo.
“They were great, but we can only carry 23 when the season starts,” McPhee said.
Corvo finished the playoffs with a goal and an assist and a plus/minus of minus-2. The veteran had two goals and four assists and a minus-4 rating in 18 regular season games.
Walker, meantime, suited up for just one game in the playoffs and did not record a point. He played in nine games during the regular season because of injury and finished with two goals and an assist.
When asked about the status of center Eric Belanger – the other pending UFA acquired at the deadline – McPhee said, “There’s some discussion there.”
What’s the difference between Corvo/Walker and Belanger? Well, besides the whole “versatility and talent” thing? Well, you see, Belanger just seems like has that extra level of commitment. He shows that go-getter attitude you where he’d run through a wall for you. Or, you know, do this:
(Any time I have an excuse to post that horrifying video, I will. Did you see that coming?)
So, as I’ve written before, the Capitals should have plenty of cap space this summer. Why waste it on a tough but replaceable player like Walker or a flawed defenseman such as Corvo? It’ll be interesting to see how much changes in DC in the off-season. Stay tuned.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)