Jun 3, 2010, 1:20 PM EST
The Washington Capitals elected to make a slew of minor moves during the NHL trade deadline. If you look at it strictly from the perspective of playoff success – rather than the fact that they ran away with the Presidents’ Trophy and put up incredible regular season numbers – then it’s hard to say that those transactions made much of a difference.
It seems that Caps GM George McPhee agrees with this sentiment, at least in part. He told Tarik El-Bashir of the Washington Post that the team won’t look to re-sign trade deadline acquisitions Scott Walker and Joe Corvo.
“They were great, but we can only carry 23 when the season starts,” McPhee said.
Corvo finished the playoffs with a goal and an assist and a plus/minus of minus-2. The veteran had two goals and four assists and a minus-4 rating in 18 regular season games.
Walker, meantime, suited up for just one game in the playoffs and did not record a point. He played in nine games during the regular season because of injury and finished with two goals and an assist.
When asked about the status of center Eric Belanger – the other pending UFA acquired at the deadline – McPhee said, “There’s some discussion there.”
What’s the difference between Corvo/Walker and Belanger? Well, besides the whole “versatility and talent” thing? Well, you see, Belanger just seems like has that extra level of commitment. He shows that go-getter attitude you where he’d run through a wall for you. Or, you know, do this:
(Any time I have an excuse to post that horrifying video, I will. Did you see that coming?)
So, as I’ve written before, the Capitals should have plenty of cap space this summer. Why waste it on a tough but replaceable player like Walker or a flawed defenseman such as Corvo? It’ll be interesting to see how much changes in DC in the off-season. Stay tuned.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)