Jun 3, 2010, 8:09 PM EDT
It’s just one report that’s come through for now, but a report from Detroit says that Red Wings goalie-impedance/goal-scorer Tomas Holmstrom is about to re-sign.
Tomas Holmstrom and the Detroit Red Wings have come to terms on a new two year deal sources tell FOX 2′s Jennifer Hammond.
Holmstrom was due to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and while there was no real thought that he would leave Detroit, for whom he’s played for his entire career, it’s better to get the loose ends you have tied up before wading into the free agency waters. Holmstrom is 37 and somewhat lacking in the swiftness department when it comes to his game, but there’s no doubt about his abilities in front of the net (whether you like them or not) to score the grimiest of the ugly goals as he scored 25 this past season.
Putting my Red Wings hat on for a second here, there’s no question that Holmstrom’s value to the team is huge, but I would worry tremendously about his ability to get up and down the ice the next two years given the kind of physical beatings he takes in front of the net game in and game out.
UPDATE: Greg Brady from 640 AM in Toronto gets the cap number for us via Twitter.
Red Wings sign Holmstrom. Tomas Holmstrom’s cap
hit for a 2 year deal is 1.875M/ year.
Holmstrom was making $2.25 million a year previously so much like his teammate and countryman Nicklas Lidstrom, Holmstrom is taking a pay cut ($375,000 per year) to stick around and run for the Cup for two more years.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)