Jun 3, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
Earlier today, James took you down the developing ugly path in Ottawa surrounding Jason Spezza and his unhappiness in Ottawa. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? After all, this is kind of how things got going for Dany Heatley last season. Although Spezza has come out and said that he doesn’t want to be traded from Ottawa, he doesn’t sound all that convincing either.
While making an appearance in Toronto to promote a charitable endeavour to help underprivileged children play hockey, Spezza was asked, point-blank: “Do you want to go back to the Ottawa Senators?”
“Yeah,” he said, stammering before a media relations attaché ended the line of questioning.
Well that’s just comically awkward and kind of fitting for how things have broken down throughout the history of the Ottawa Senators. Dany Heatley, Ray Emery and Alexandre Daigle were all big time players for the Senators who also had big time mental shakedowns. Maybe we’re wrong here but when you think hockey cities that would be a “media pressure cooker” you don’t usually think of Ottawa being at the top of the list. Perhaps the Senators should have a team psychologist on hand.
Then again, perhaps craziness is contagious, at least that’s what you’d think if you saw that the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson suggested that the Oilers mix it up with the Senators in trade talks this summer for Spezza.
With the Ottawa Senators’ Jason Spezza seemingly disgruntled with his lot in life in the nation’s capital, here’s how the Oilers might solve the Taylor vs. Tyler debate.
Draft winger Taylor Hall on June 25 with their No. 1 pick at the NHL entry draft, pass on centre Tyler Seguin and trade for Spezza later.
The Senators would almost assuredly take the same three players that were on the table for winger Dany Heatley last summer — Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid — in exchange for Spezza, who would become the Oilers’ much-needed first-line centre.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 24
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 60
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)