Jun 3, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
The NHL’s general managers met in Philadelphia for reasons beyond honoring Coyotes GM Don Maloney as the best general manager of the year. As it turns out, they also discussed some of the league’s most pressing issues, including hits to the head and the excessive effect shootouts have on the way teams play.
The area that looks to see the most change is in headshots, though. TSN has the story, including thoughts from the always outspoken Brian Burke.
The league’s brain trust spent significant time discussing the addition of a major penalty and a game misconduct for east-west, back pressure, or blind side hits; as well as handing out supplemental discipline.
… “It’s one thing to suspend a player, but that has no impact on the game. It doesn’t penalize the team for that game, and our feeling is that it should be five and a game,” explained Toronto Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke. “It goes to the Competition Committee next and then the Board of Governors. I can’t imagine that there would be any opposition to it – we have to take that hit out of the game.”
As Burke mentioned, the rule still needs to pass through the Competition Committee and Board of Governors. It’s clear that the league is trying to curb those dangerous hits, though.
It sounds like talk about changing the shootout format is mainly preliminary. Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland proposed changing from a five minute OT to either an eight minute or 10 minute extra period. The goal is to increase the chances of a game ending before it gets to that point.
I’m glad that hits to the head are getting attention, but I’d love to see the league improve the way it handles shootouts. That being said, the idea of reducing the skaters to 3-on-3 toward the end of the overtime period strikes me as a weak band-aid solution. In fact, that might be even worse.
Then again, this is coming from someone who wants shootouts done away with altogether …
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 12
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 3
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 57
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 26
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 33
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 9
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (58)