Jun 3, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
The NHL’s general managers met in Philadelphia for reasons beyond honoring Coyotes GM Don Maloney as the best general manager of the year. As it turns out, they also discussed some of the league’s most pressing issues, including hits to the head and the excessive effect shootouts have on the way teams play.
The area that looks to see the most change is in headshots, though. TSN has the story, including thoughts from the always outspoken Brian Burke.
The league’s brain trust spent significant time discussing the addition of a major penalty and a game misconduct for east-west, back pressure, or blind side hits; as well as handing out supplemental discipline.
… “It’s one thing to suspend a player, but that has no impact on the game. It doesn’t penalize the team for that game, and our feeling is that it should be five and a game,” explained Toronto Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke. “It goes to the Competition Committee next and then the Board of Governors. I can’t imagine that there would be any opposition to it – we have to take that hit out of the game.”
As Burke mentioned, the rule still needs to pass through the Competition Committee and Board of Governors. It’s clear that the league is trying to curb those dangerous hits, though.
It sounds like talk about changing the shootout format is mainly preliminary. Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland proposed changing from a five minute OT to either an eight minute or 10 minute extra period. The goal is to increase the chances of a game ending before it gets to that point.
I’m glad that hits to the head are getting attention, but I’d love to see the league improve the way it handles shootouts. That being said, the idea of reducing the skaters to 3-on-3 toward the end of the overtime period strikes me as a weak band-aid solution. In fact, that might be even worse.
Then again, this is coming from someone who wants shootouts done away with altogether …
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 22
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 68
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)