Jun 3, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
When it comes to the NFL Draft, everyone and their crazy Uncle Henry seem to come out with a mock draft. Hockey might not enjoy the same brand of around-the-clock coverage, but that doesn’t change the fact that June’s Entry Draft will fuel debates among NHL executives and scouts for some time.
Who will end up being a bigger difference maker: Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin? Should the Bruins go with Cam Fowler instead pf Seguin, if the chips fall the way people expect? Does this draft have the next Henrik Zetterberg?
There’s no way to know for sure how productive an 18 or 19-year-old hockey player will be as the person matures. There does seem to be a consensus, though, at least when it comes to NHL.com’s poll of one Eastern and Western Conference executive: Hall is considered the No. 1 pick over Seguin in both cases.
Actually, both personnel men had the same top 5 picks:
- Erik Gudbranson
- Brandon Gormley
It’s pretty difficult to dissent about Hall being the No. 1 pick right now. He’s been a major success in almost every format of hockey competition. That being said, Seguin didn’t have the kind of firepower surrounding him when the two top prospects met at high levels of junior competition, so the jury’s really still out on this one.
We’ll be all over the 2010 NHL Draft this summer. Along with the June 25-26 event itself, we’ll provide player profiles, analysis of picks/trades and plenty of other coverage before and after it takes place. Make sure to stick with us through that exciting process.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)