Jun 2, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Earlier this week, people were criticizing Jeremy Roenick for not “picking a side” in the Stanley Cup finals since the retired center played some of his best hockey for both the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks. Well, he might have been antsy when it comes to choosing a favorite, but that doesn’t mean he’s shy about sharing his feelings on the series.
Roenick bashed Chris Pronger’s puck burglary on a radio show today. ESPN Chicago shares his candid comments regarding Pronger snatching the pucks for Game 1 and Game 2 (which, by the way, Pronger claims are in the “garbage, where they belong”).
Roenick was told Ben Eager, who’s a fourth-line forward for the Hawks, wanted the puck after scoring the game-winner in Game 2, but Pronger kept it and threw it in the garbage. The two had words and received 10-minute misconduct penalties.
“That’s bush league,” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “That’s total, total bush league.
“He is a fierce competitor, no question. He’s strong, he’s big, he’s talented. And I think he does have that ‘I don’t really give a crap about you’ mentality. So does that make him a bad guy? I don’t know him enough to comment on that. I do know he’s not a very popular person around the National Hockey League.”
Certainly, it’s difficult to imagine Pronger receiving many Christmas cards from his peers. The puck theft (and all the ink spilled in its name) seems like some silly – maybe even juvenile – behavior but I think it’s ultimately just an example of weak head games.
That being said, I get the feeling there will be a lot of eyes on the game puck once tonight’s Game 3 is over.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 7
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)