Jun 2, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Earlier this week, people were criticizing Jeremy Roenick for not “picking a side” in the Stanley Cup finals since the retired center played some of his best hockey for both the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks. Well, he might have been antsy when it comes to choosing a favorite, but that doesn’t mean he’s shy about sharing his feelings on the series.
Roenick bashed Chris Pronger’s puck burglary on a radio show today. ESPN Chicago shares his candid comments regarding Pronger snatching the pucks for Game 1 and Game 2 (which, by the way, Pronger claims are in the “garbage, where they belong”).
Roenick was told Ben Eager, who’s a fourth-line forward for the Hawks, wanted the puck after scoring the game-winner in Game 2, but Pronger kept it and threw it in the garbage. The two had words and received 10-minute misconduct penalties.
“That’s bush league,” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “That’s total, total bush league.
“He is a fierce competitor, no question. He’s strong, he’s big, he’s talented. And I think he does have that ‘I don’t really give a crap about you’ mentality. So does that make him a bad guy? I don’t know him enough to comment on that. I do know he’s not a very popular person around the National Hockey League.”
Certainly, it’s difficult to imagine Pronger receiving many Christmas cards from his peers. The puck theft (and all the ink spilled in its name) seems like some silly – maybe even juvenile – behavior but I think it’s ultimately just an example of weak head games.
That being said, I get the feeling there will be a lot of eyes on the game puck once tonight’s Game 3 is over.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)