Jun 2, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Earlier this week, people were criticizing Jeremy Roenick for not “picking a side” in the Stanley Cup finals since the retired center played some of his best hockey for both the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks. Well, he might have been antsy when it comes to choosing a favorite, but that doesn’t mean he’s shy about sharing his feelings on the series.
Roenick bashed Chris Pronger’s puck burglary on a radio show today. ESPN Chicago shares his candid comments regarding Pronger snatching the pucks for Game 1 and Game 2 (which, by the way, Pronger claims are in the “garbage, where they belong”).
Roenick was told Ben Eager, who’s a fourth-line forward for the Hawks, wanted the puck after scoring the game-winner in Game 2, but Pronger kept it and threw it in the garbage. The two had words and received 10-minute misconduct penalties.
“That’s bush league,” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “That’s total, total bush league.
“He is a fierce competitor, no question. He’s strong, he’s big, he’s talented. And I think he does have that ‘I don’t really give a crap about you’ mentality. So does that make him a bad guy? I don’t know him enough to comment on that. I do know he’s not a very popular person around the National Hockey League.”
Certainly, it’s difficult to imagine Pronger receiving many Christmas cards from his peers. The puck theft (and all the ink spilled in its name) seems like some silly – maybe even juvenile – behavior but I think it’s ultimately just an example of weak head games.
That being said, I get the feeling there will be a lot of eyes on the game puck once tonight’s Game 3 is over.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)