Jun 2, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Earlier this week, people were criticizing Jeremy Roenick for not “picking a side” in the Stanley Cup finals since the retired center played some of his best hockey for both the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks. Well, he might have been antsy when it comes to choosing a favorite, but that doesn’t mean he’s shy about sharing his feelings on the series.
Roenick bashed Chris Pronger’s puck burglary on a radio show today. ESPN Chicago shares his candid comments regarding Pronger snatching the pucks for Game 1 and Game 2 (which, by the way, Pronger claims are in the “garbage, where they belong”).
Roenick was told Ben Eager, who’s a fourth-line forward for the Hawks, wanted the puck after scoring the game-winner in Game 2, but Pronger kept it and threw it in the garbage. The two had words and received 10-minute misconduct penalties.
“That’s bush league,” Roenick said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “That’s total, total bush league.
“He is a fierce competitor, no question. He’s strong, he’s big, he’s talented. And I think he does have that ‘I don’t really give a crap about you’ mentality. So does that make him a bad guy? I don’t know him enough to comment on that. I do know he’s not a very popular person around the National Hockey League.”
Certainly, it’s difficult to imagine Pronger receiving many Christmas cards from his peers. The puck theft (and all the ink spilled in its name) seems like some silly – maybe even juvenile – behavior but I think it’s ultimately just an example of weak head games.
That being said, I get the feeling there will be a lot of eyes on the game puck once tonight’s Game 3 is over.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off