Jun 2, 2010, 8:58 PM EDT
They’re not blowing the Chicago Blackhawks out of the frozen water right now, but the Philadelphia Flyers have to be fairly pleased with their performance in the first period. The team will take a 1-0 lead into the second period and should have a powerplay to kick off the middle frame thanks to a scrum that involved Dustin Byfuglien.
Danny Briere continued his underrated playoff run, scoring his 11th goal of the postseason thanks to a gorgeous pass by mop-headed bruiser Scott Hartnell. Joe Yerdon and others have been pleading with the Flyers to shoot high on the butterfly-friendly Antti Niemi; no doubt about it, that strategy worked on Briere’s go-ahead goal. Versus reports that Briere’s 11 goals is the most by a Flyer in the playoffs since Eric Lindros banked 12 in 1997.
The Flyers have been physical in this game so far, being credited with 17 hits in the opening period. After being dominated in the faceoff circle by Chicago in Game 2, Philadelphia won 10 out of 14 draws in the first.
Still, a one-goal lead is a mere pittance against a team as deep and explosive as the Blackhakws, so this one is far from over. Stay tuned for more updates as we go along.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (97)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games