Jun 2, 2010, 8:58 PM EST
They’re not blowing the Chicago Blackhawks out of the frozen water right now, but the Philadelphia Flyers have to be fairly pleased with their performance in the first period. The team will take a 1-0 lead into the second period and should have a powerplay to kick off the middle frame thanks to a scrum that involved Dustin Byfuglien.
Danny Briere continued his underrated playoff run, scoring his 11th goal of the postseason thanks to a gorgeous pass by mop-headed bruiser Scott Hartnell. Joe Yerdon and others have been pleading with the Flyers to shoot high on the butterfly-friendly Antti Niemi; no doubt about it, that strategy worked on Briere’s go-ahead goal. Versus reports that Briere’s 11 goals is the most by a Flyer in the playoffs since Eric Lindros banked 12 in 1997.
The Flyers have been physical in this game so far, being credited with 17 hits in the opening period. After being dominated in the faceoff circle by Chicago in Game 2, Philadelphia won 10 out of 14 draws in the first.
Still, a one-goal lead is a mere pittance against a team as deep and explosive as the Blackhakws, so this one is far from over. Stay tuned for more updates as we go along.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)