Jun 2, 2010, 8:58 PM EST
They’re not blowing the Chicago Blackhawks out of the frozen water right now, but the Philadelphia Flyers have to be fairly pleased with their performance in the first period. The team will take a 1-0 lead into the second period and should have a powerplay to kick off the middle frame thanks to a scrum that involved Dustin Byfuglien.
Danny Briere continued his underrated playoff run, scoring his 11th goal of the postseason thanks to a gorgeous pass by mop-headed bruiser Scott Hartnell. Joe Yerdon and others have been pleading with the Flyers to shoot high on the butterfly-friendly Antti Niemi; no doubt about it, that strategy worked on Briere’s go-ahead goal. Versus reports that Briere’s 11 goals is the most by a Flyer in the playoffs since Eric Lindros banked 12 in 1997.
The Flyers have been physical in this game so far, being credited with 17 hits in the opening period. After being dominated in the faceoff circle by Chicago in Game 2, Philadelphia won 10 out of 14 draws in the first.
Still, a one-goal lead is a mere pittance against a team as deep and explosive as the Blackhakws, so this one is far from over. Stay tuned for more updates as we go along.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)