Jun 2, 2010, 8:58 PM EDT
They’re not blowing the Chicago Blackhawks out of the frozen water right now, but the Philadelphia Flyers have to be fairly pleased with their performance in the first period. The team will take a 1-0 lead into the second period and should have a powerplay to kick off the middle frame thanks to a scrum that involved Dustin Byfuglien.
Danny Briere continued his underrated playoff run, scoring his 11th goal of the postseason thanks to a gorgeous pass by mop-headed bruiser Scott Hartnell. Joe Yerdon and others have been pleading with the Flyers to shoot high on the butterfly-friendly Antti Niemi; no doubt about it, that strategy worked on Briere’s go-ahead goal. Versus reports that Briere’s 11 goals is the most by a Flyer in the playoffs since Eric Lindros banked 12 in 1997.
The Flyers have been physical in this game so far, being credited with 17 hits in the opening period. After being dominated in the faceoff circle by Chicago in Game 2, Philadelphia won 10 out of 14 draws in the first.
Still, a one-goal lead is a mere pittance against a team as deep and explosive as the Blackhakws, so this one is far from over. Stay tuned for more updates as we go along.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)