Jun 2, 2010, 8:58 PM EDT
They’re not blowing the Chicago Blackhawks out of the frozen water right now, but the Philadelphia Flyers have to be fairly pleased with their performance in the first period. The team will take a 1-0 lead into the second period and should have a powerplay to kick off the middle frame thanks to a scrum that involved Dustin Byfuglien.
Danny Briere continued his underrated playoff run, scoring his 11th goal of the postseason thanks to a gorgeous pass by mop-headed bruiser Scott Hartnell. Joe Yerdon and others have been pleading with the Flyers to shoot high on the butterfly-friendly Antti Niemi; no doubt about it, that strategy worked on Briere’s go-ahead goal. Versus reports that Briere’s 11 goals is the most by a Flyer in the playoffs since Eric Lindros banked 12 in 1997.
The Flyers have been physical in this game so far, being credited with 17 hits in the opening period. After being dominated in the faceoff circle by Chicago in Game 2, Philadelphia won 10 out of 14 draws in the first.
Still, a one-goal lead is a mere pittance against a team as deep and explosive as the Blackhakws, so this one is far from over. Stay tuned for more updates as we go along.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)