Jun 2, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche might need to look for a new owner soon, as the NFL seems primed to approve the sale of the St. Louis Rams to current Avs owner Stan Kroenke. The football league prohibits an owner of an NFL team from owning competitive sports clubs in the same markets that host NFL franchises; in other words, Kroenke owning the Avs means that he’s going up against the Denver Broncos.
The National Football League appears to be moving toward approving sports magnate Stan Kroenke as the next owner of the St. Louis Rams and allowing him a grace period to sell basketball’s Denver Nuggets and hockey’s Colorado Avalanche, sources say, despite the league’s prohibition against owners controlling teams in other NFL markets.
To whom Kroenke would sell the Denver teams is unclear, the sources said, and the NFL has not yet signed off on whether the clubs could transfer to his family members.
This situation is in flux, but there’s clearly a good chance that Colorado will see a new owner – even if it’s just a different Kroenke – once this is decided. Perhaps the team’s hordes of young prospects and unexpected playoff run will help them be a more desirable team to own? Obviously they have a ways to go before they re-establish themselves as one of the NHL’s best organizations, but they must be at least slightly more valuable in 2010 than they seemed in, say, 2009.
We’ll keep you up to date as this situation progresses.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)