Jun 2, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche might need to look for a new owner soon, as the NFL seems primed to approve the sale of the St. Louis Rams to current Avs owner Stan Kroenke. The football league prohibits an owner of an NFL team from owning competitive sports clubs in the same markets that host NFL franchises; in other words, Kroenke owning the Avs means that he’s going up against the Denver Broncos.
The National Football League appears to be moving toward approving sports magnate Stan Kroenke as the next owner of the St. Louis Rams and allowing him a grace period to sell basketball’s Denver Nuggets and hockey’s Colorado Avalanche, sources say, despite the league’s prohibition against owners controlling teams in other NFL markets.
To whom Kroenke would sell the Denver teams is unclear, the sources said, and the NFL has not yet signed off on whether the clubs could transfer to his family members.
This situation is in flux, but there’s clearly a good chance that Colorado will see a new owner – even if it’s just a different Kroenke – once this is decided. Perhaps the team’s hordes of young prospects and unexpected playoff run will help them be a more desirable team to own? Obviously they have a ways to go before they re-establish themselves as one of the NHL’s best organizations, but they must be at least slightly more valuable in 2010 than they seemed in, say, 2009.
We’ll keep you up to date as this situation progresses.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)