Jun 2, 2010, 7:15 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche might need to look for a new owner soon, as the NFL seems primed to approve the sale of the St. Louis Rams to current Avs owner Stan Kroenke. The football league prohibits an owner of an NFL team from owning competitive sports clubs in the same markets that host NFL franchises; in other words, Kroenke owning the Avs means that he’s going up against the Denver Broncos.
The National Football League appears to be moving toward approving sports magnate Stan Kroenke as the next owner of the St. Louis Rams and allowing him a grace period to sell basketball’s Denver Nuggets and hockey’s Colorado Avalanche, sources say, despite the league’s prohibition against owners controlling teams in other NFL markets.
To whom Kroenke would sell the Denver teams is unclear, the sources said, and the NFL has not yet signed off on whether the clubs could transfer to his family members.
This situation is in flux, but there’s clearly a good chance that Colorado will see a new owner – even if it’s just a different Kroenke – once this is decided. Perhaps the team’s hordes of young prospects and unexpected playoff run will help them be a more desirable team to own? Obviously they have a ways to go before they re-establish themselves as one of the NHL’s best organizations, but they must be at least slightly more valuable in 2010 than they seemed in, say, 2009.
We’ll keep you up to date as this situation progresses.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)