Jun 1, 2010, 10:57 PM EDT
Steve Yzerman is new to the general manager’s job in Tampa Bay and while he’s still on the hunt for a head coach, there’s other positions to fill in Florida as well, one being the numbers man for Yzerman when it comes to contracts and Yzerman wants to stick with someone he knows.
The Windsor Star reported Tuesday that Red Wings GM Ken Holland said Yzerman has asked to speak to Ryan Martin, who is the team’s director of hockey administration and who handles the ins and outs of the salary cap. Martin is known to be close to Yzerman.
Ryan Martin will be better known as the guy who made long-term contracts for Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen all the rage for GMs across the NHL for being financially flexible and all the reason for commissioner Gary Bettman to wig out when it comes to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
After all, if there’s something a team that has Vincent Lecavalier on board for a cap hit of nearly $8 million a year until the year 2020 needs it’s a guy who can make big money disappear over a lot of years rather than sit there in salary purgatory because a guy wants to make $10 million a year. Oh yeah, and Steven Stamkos is a restricted free agent after next season, that might cost a few bucks.
Then again, it could be Steve Yzerman’s job to make that Lecavalier contract disappear completely by shuttling him off somewhere else entirely. If he can do that, he may just be the best general manager we’ll ever see in that position… Or he’ll just have made a call to Glen Sather.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Finalists for Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Play Video: Bruins turn weakness into strength
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Vokoun makes a big time save on Neil
- Play Video: Cooke catches Karlsson in face with stick