Jun 1, 2010, 10:57 PM EDT
Steve Yzerman is new to the general manager’s job in Tampa Bay and while he’s still on the hunt for a head coach, there’s other positions to fill in Florida as well, one being the numbers man for Yzerman when it comes to contracts and Yzerman wants to stick with someone he knows.
The Windsor Star reported Tuesday that Red Wings GM Ken Holland said Yzerman has asked to speak to Ryan Martin, who is the team’s director of hockey administration and who handles the ins and outs of the salary cap. Martin is known to be close to Yzerman.
Ryan Martin will be better known as the guy who made long-term contracts for Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen all the rage for GMs across the NHL for being financially flexible and all the reason for commissioner Gary Bettman to wig out when it comes to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
After all, if there’s something a team that has Vincent Lecavalier on board for a cap hit of nearly $8 million a year until the year 2020 needs it’s a guy who can make big money disappear over a lot of years rather than sit there in salary purgatory because a guy wants to make $10 million a year. Oh yeah, and Steven Stamkos is a restricted free agent after next season, that might cost a few bucks.
Then again, it could be Steve Yzerman’s job to make that Lecavalier contract disappear completely by shuttling him off somewhere else entirely. If he can do that, he may just be the best general manager we’ll ever see in that position… Or he’ll just have made a call to Glen Sather.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)