Jun 1, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Ah, Chris Pronger. He’s just one of those players who can’t go long without upsetting someone. The latest controversy caused by the big defenseman came after he apparently snatched what would be the “game puck” after both Game 1 and Game 2.
This leaded to a heated (if silly) exchange with Chicago Blackhawks tough guy Ben Eager. Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly captured the story.
Where’s the puck, Pronger was asked.
“It’s in the garbage,” Pronger replied. “Where it belongs.”
You shot a towel at Eager when he complained?
“So what,” Pronger replied.
You’re collecting pucks now?
“Why not? What’s wrong? It’s sitting there. What else is gonna happen to it? It’s sitting there. Sure, why not. You got a problem with that?”
Are you gonna sell it on eBay?
“I don’t know. Apparently, it got him upset. So I guess it worked, didn’t it? It’s too bad. I guess little things amuse little minds.”
I have to admit, the brief hubbub surrounding this story seems a bit dumb, but vaguely entertaining. Is it fair to call Chris Pronger “The Puck Burglar” now?
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)