Jun 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
While the official announcement hasn’t been made, the Detroit News reports that Nicklas Lidstrom decided to return for at least one more season with the Detroit Red Wings.
Wings officials will announce later today Lidstrom has agreed to a one-year deal. The exact amount was unknown, but it is believed to be near $6 million.
If that amount is correct (or nearly correct), then that is nearly $2 million in cap savings for the Red Wings compared to last season. It sounds like the team is looking to re-sign Todd Bertuzzi and/or Tomas Holmstrom, so I’m not really sure if the team will have much room to add any outside talent.
It’s great to hear that Lidstrom will most likely be back for the 2010-11 season. He remains one of the league’s best defensemen, even though he didn’t put up the kind of offensive numbers that garners much Norris Trophy attention. He’s among the best shutdown defenseman to this day, a true genius of the game.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)