Jun 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
While the official announcement hasn’t been made, the Detroit News reports that Nicklas Lidstrom decided to return for at least one more season with the Detroit Red Wings.
Wings officials will announce later today Lidstrom has agreed to a one-year deal. The exact amount was unknown, but it is believed to be near $6 million.
If that amount is correct (or nearly correct), then that is nearly $2 million in cap savings for the Red Wings compared to last season. It sounds like the team is looking to re-sign Todd Bertuzzi and/or Tomas Holmstrom, so I’m not really sure if the team will have much room to add any outside talent.
It’s great to hear that Lidstrom will most likely be back for the 2010-11 season. He remains one of the league’s best defensemen, even though he didn’t put up the kind of offensive numbers that garners much Norris Trophy attention. He’s among the best shutdown defenseman to this day, a true genius of the game.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 10
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 51
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (38)