Jun 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
While the official announcement hasn’t been made, the Detroit News reports that Nicklas Lidstrom decided to return for at least one more season with the Detroit Red Wings.
Wings officials will announce later today Lidstrom has agreed to a one-year deal. The exact amount was unknown, but it is believed to be near $6 million.
If that amount is correct (or nearly correct), then that is nearly $2 million in cap savings for the Red Wings compared to last season. It sounds like the team is looking to re-sign Todd Bertuzzi and/or Tomas Holmstrom, so I’m not really sure if the team will have much room to add any outside talent.
It’s great to hear that Lidstrom will most likely be back for the 2010-11 season. He remains one of the league’s best defensemen, even though he didn’t put up the kind of offensive numbers that garners much Norris Trophy attention. He’s among the best shutdown defenseman to this day, a true genius of the game.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)