Jun 1, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
While the official announcement hasn’t been made, the Detroit News reports that Nicklas Lidstrom decided to return for at least one more season with the Detroit Red Wings.
Wings officials will announce later today Lidstrom has agreed to a one-year deal. The exact amount was unknown, but it is believed to be near $6 million.
If that amount is correct (or nearly correct), then that is nearly $2 million in cap savings for the Red Wings compared to last season. It sounds like the team is looking to re-sign Todd Bertuzzi and/or Tomas Holmstrom, so I’m not really sure if the team will have much room to add any outside talent.
It’s great to hear that Lidstrom will most likely be back for the 2010-11 season. He remains one of the league’s best defensemen, even though he didn’t put up the kind of offensive numbers that garners much Norris Trophy attention. He’s among the best shutdown defenseman to this day, a true genius of the game.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)