Jun 1, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Brandon went over how ridiculously loud Chicago’s Game 1 contest was, so I couldn’t help but wonder if Game 2 was even louder. NHL.com lists those decibel readings here and points out this lesson: going to a Chicago Blackhawks game might not be great for your health, even if you’re not eating deep dish pizzas all night.
First, here are a few notes on decibel levels – like what can harm your hearing – from that post.
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss: 90 – 95dB
Pain begins: 125dB
Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection: 140dB
Loudest sound possible: 194dB
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the most interesting readings. According to the story, the highest level of noise in Game 1 came at the national anthem, which hit 121 decibels. Apparently, the crowd got slightly louder than that last night, as the national anthem produced between 116-122dBs in Game 2. That’s the equivalent to the booming sound of a shotgun.
Finally, here’s a few of the other high points from the night, along with a description of how loud the crowd would be.
Eager strikes a few moments later 17:37 of 2nd period 112dB Dog Kennel
Niemi save during Sharp penalty 4:00 of 3rd period 104dB Motorcycle
Sopel lays hit on Leino 4:14 of 3rd period 105dB Diesel Truck
Fan cam on video screen during break 7:18 of 3rd period 106dB Motorcycle
Sharp hits Laperriere Mid-3rd period 110dB Power Saw
Video screen showing empty net 18:44 of 3rd period 103dB Diesel Truck
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 20
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 10
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)