Jun 1, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
Brandon went over how ridiculously loud Chicago’s Game 1 contest was, so I couldn’t help but wonder if Game 2 was even louder. NHL.com lists those decibel readings here and points out this lesson: going to a Chicago Blackhawks game might not be great for your health, even if you’re not eating deep dish pizzas all night.
First, here are a few notes on decibel levels – like what can harm your hearing – from that post.
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss: 90 – 95dB
Pain begins: 125dB
Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection: 140dB
Loudest sound possible: 194dB
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the most interesting readings. According to the story, the highest level of noise in Game 1 came at the national anthem, which hit 121 decibels. Apparently, the crowd got slightly louder than that last night, as the national anthem produced between 116-122dBs in Game 2. That’s the equivalent to the booming sound of a shotgun.
Finally, here’s a few of the other high points from the night, along with a description of how loud the crowd would be.
Eager strikes a few moments later 17:37 of 2nd period 112dB Dog Kennel
Niemi save during Sharp penalty 4:00 of 3rd period 104dB Motorcycle
Sopel lays hit on Leino 4:14 of 3rd period 105dB Diesel Truck
Fan cam on video screen during break 7:18 of 3rd period 106dB Motorcycle
Sharp hits Laperriere Mid-3rd period 110dB Power Saw
Video screen showing empty net 18:44 of 3rd period 103dB Diesel Truck
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 16
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29