Jun 1, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Brandon went over how ridiculously loud Chicago’s Game 1 contest was, so I couldn’t help but wonder if Game 2 was even louder. NHL.com lists those decibel readings here and points out this lesson: going to a Chicago Blackhawks game might not be great for your health, even if you’re not eating deep dish pizzas all night.
First, here are a few notes on decibel levels – like what can harm your hearing – from that post.
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss: 90 – 95dB
Pain begins: 125dB
Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection: 140dB
Loudest sound possible: 194dB
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the most interesting readings. According to the story, the highest level of noise in Game 1 came at the national anthem, which hit 121 decibels. Apparently, the crowd got slightly louder than that last night, as the national anthem produced between 116-122dBs in Game 2. That’s the equivalent to the booming sound of a shotgun.
Finally, here’s a few of the other high points from the night, along with a description of how loud the crowd would be.
Eager strikes a few moments later 17:37 of 2nd period 112dB Dog Kennel
Niemi save during Sharp penalty 4:00 of 3rd period 104dB Motorcycle
Sopel lays hit on Leino 4:14 of 3rd period 105dB Diesel Truck
Fan cam on video screen during break 7:18 of 3rd period 106dB Motorcycle
Sharp hits Laperriere Mid-3rd period 110dB Power Saw
Video screen showing empty net 18:44 of 3rd period 103dB Diesel Truck
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)