Jun 1, 2010, 12:45 AM EDT
The Flyers put Dan Carcillo into the lineup to try and give the team a bit of a different edge, some attitude and some energy after the Flyers got away from what they do best in Game 1. After coming out of the gates with his hockey pants on fire, Carcillo spent most of the game not making much of a difference after all.
Carcillo stated before the game that he was ready to come out, be energetic and basically cause problems for the Blackhawks and that’s exactly what he set out to do. Unfortunately, he ended up taking things a bit too far. While trying to lay out a bone-crunching hit on Tomas Kopecky, he accidentally took out his own teammate. Observe:
Carcillo finished with 11:04 of ice time, three shots on goal and just two registered hits. He certainly made the Blackhawks focus on him in the first period, but was ultimately not the big difference maker some thought he might be before the game started.
All of the focus before the game was what kind of impact Carcillo would have now that he was back on ice, and aside from just throwing his body around for a couple of raucous shifts in the first period he was largely invisible for most of the game.
Carcillo certainly didn’t have a bad game, but perhaps the hype leading up to his return was a bit overblown. Still, without Carcillo’s return we wouldn’t have gotten the great play we see above.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)