May 31, 2010, 11:04 PM EDT
Both teams tightened thing up defensively, Dan Carcillo did his part to light a fire under the Flyers but it would go all for naught as the Chicago Blackhawks would take out the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals 2-1. The Blackhawks got on the board in the second period first with Marian Hossa and then getting the game-deciding marker was scored in the second period by none other than enforcer Ben Eager. After being outplayed for the most part through 40 minutes, the Flyers found their stride in the third period.
Simon Gagne got a power play goal with one second left on their man advantage as his shot from the slot found a way to float past Antti Niemi’s shoulder. From that point on, the Flyers would have control of the puck but Niemi and the Hawks defense did their part to make the one-goal lead stand. Niemi made 32 saves to earn the win while Michael Leighton would stop 24 in the loss.
We’ll have more post-game analysis on the way.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)