May 31, 2010, 11:04 PM EDT
Both teams tightened thing up defensively, Dan Carcillo did his part to light a fire under the Flyers but it would go all for naught as the Chicago Blackhawks would take out the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals 2-1. The Blackhawks got on the board in the second period first with Marian Hossa and then getting the game-deciding marker was scored in the second period by none other than enforcer Ben Eager. After being outplayed for the most part through 40 minutes, the Flyers found their stride in the third period.
Simon Gagne got a power play goal with one second left on their man advantage as his shot from the slot found a way to float past Antti Niemi’s shoulder. From that point on, the Flyers would have control of the puck but Niemi and the Hawks defense did their part to make the one-goal lead stand. Niemi made 32 saves to earn the win while Michael Leighton would stop 24 in the loss.
We’ll have more post-game analysis on the way.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 33
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)