May 31, 2010, 11:04 PM EST
Both teams tightened thing up defensively, Dan Carcillo did his part to light a fire under the Flyers but it would go all for naught as the Chicago Blackhawks would take out the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals 2-1. The Blackhawks got on the board in the second period first with Marian Hossa and then getting the game-deciding marker was scored in the second period by none other than enforcer Ben Eager. After being outplayed for the most part through 40 minutes, the Flyers found their stride in the third period.
Simon Gagne got a power play goal with one second left on their man advantage as his shot from the slot found a way to float past Antti Niemi’s shoulder. From that point on, the Flyers would have control of the puck but Niemi and the Hawks defense did their part to make the one-goal lead stand. Niemi made 32 saves to earn the win while Michael Leighton would stop 24 in the loss.
We’ll have more post-game analysis on the way.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)