May 31, 2010, 11:04 PM EDT
Both teams tightened thing up defensively, Dan Carcillo did his part to light a fire under the Flyers but it would go all for naught as the Chicago Blackhawks would take out the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals 2-1. The Blackhawks got on the board in the second period first with Marian Hossa and then getting the game-deciding marker was scored in the second period by none other than enforcer Ben Eager. After being outplayed for the most part through 40 minutes, the Flyers found their stride in the third period.
Simon Gagne got a power play goal with one second left on their man advantage as his shot from the slot found a way to float past Antti Niemi’s shoulder. From that point on, the Flyers would have control of the puck but Niemi and the Hawks defense did their part to make the one-goal lead stand. Niemi made 32 saves to earn the win while Michael Leighton would stop 24 in the loss.
We’ll have more post-game analysis on the way.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (85)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)