May 31, 2010, 11:04 PM EDT
Both teams tightened thing up defensively, Dan Carcillo did his part to light a fire under the Flyers but it would go all for naught as the Chicago Blackhawks would take out the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals 2-1. The Blackhawks got on the board in the second period first with Marian Hossa and then getting the game-deciding marker was scored in the second period by none other than enforcer Ben Eager. After being outplayed for the most part through 40 minutes, the Flyers found their stride in the third period.
Simon Gagne got a power play goal with one second left on their man advantage as his shot from the slot found a way to float past Antti Niemi’s shoulder. From that point on, the Flyers would have control of the puck but Niemi and the Hawks defense did their part to make the one-goal lead stand. Niemi made 32 saves to earn the win while Michael Leighton would stop 24 in the loss.
We’ll have more post-game analysis on the way.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)