May 31, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
Chris Pronger is not a shy player when it comes to mixing it up in the corners … or, apparently, when he is in front of a microphone or a reporter’s notebook. The big brute often provides candid (well, for hockey players, at least) comments to the media and this weekend was no exception.
Pronger is never one to mince words. Oh, no. He routinely keeps the media on its toes with quick jabs and commentary whenever he deems it appropriate. And Sunday, he was in rare form, laughing and mixing it up for the reporters and television cameras.
It began with the second question of the day when he was asked about the matchup against Chicago forward Dustin Byfuglien, who had his five-game goal-scoring streak snapped Saturday.
“There was a lot of talk,” Pronger said. “You guys had a lot to say about him. So I guess we needed to calm that down real quick. I have played in the West for 14 years. I played against him a lot. So it’s not like I’ve been out East for my whole career and never played against the guy. That may have been blown out of proportion.”
Pronger went on to quip about how little stock he puts into “favorites, underdogs” as he pointed out the New England Patriots’ 2002 Super Bowl upset of the St. Louis Rams, pointing out that a lot of people must have lost money. (Kind of makes you wonder if Pronger lost money there, right?)
While hockey fans are far from shy to voice their disapproval of the big bully defenseman, at least Pronger isn’t shy about speaking his mind.
We could use more players who are so free with their words. Now, if he could just get those elbows under control …
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54