May 31, 2010, 9:41 PM EDT
2nd period: Chicago Blackhawks 0, Philadelphia Flyers 0
Blackhawks lead series 1-0
Peter Laviolette decided to put Dan Carcillo back in the lineup in an effort to get the Flyers back to playing the style of hockey that was so successful for them in the first three series of the playoffs.
After 30 minutes, I can definitely say that Carcillo has made a difference.
Game 1 was a sloppy, undisciplined game with 10 goals scored in the first two periods. With Carcillo giving his team some energy and some attitude, the Flyers buckled down and got back to playing the frustrating, defensive hockey that got them to this point. It wasn’t all great, however, as Carcillo took things a bit too far as he haphazardly threw his body around but the effect the Flyers were going for was achieved.
The Blackhawks worred about Carcillo just a bit too much, and while they dominated the shots on goal in the first period (9-3) they walked away scoreless.
Michael Leighton looking much more confident helped as well.
In the second period, the game has calmed down a bit and the Flyers have killed off a couple of penalties. The Flyers have also evened up the shots on goal and the scoring chances a bit, finding a counterattack while still locking down Toews, Kane and Byfuglien.
This is a much closer, much more physical game than we witnessed in Game 1 and it’s exactly what I expected to see. It’s no less entertaining, however.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control