May 31, 2010, 9:41 PM EDT
2nd period: Chicago Blackhawks 0, Philadelphia Flyers 0
Blackhawks lead series 1-0
Peter Laviolette decided to put Dan Carcillo back in the lineup in an effort to get the Flyers back to playing the style of hockey that was so successful for them in the first three series of the playoffs.
After 30 minutes, I can definitely say that Carcillo has made a difference.
Game 1 was a sloppy, undisciplined game with 10 goals scored in the first two periods. With Carcillo giving his team some energy and some attitude, the Flyers buckled down and got back to playing the frustrating, defensive hockey that got them to this point. It wasn’t all great, however, as Carcillo took things a bit too far as he haphazardly threw his body around but the effect the Flyers were going for was achieved.
The Blackhawks worred about Carcillo just a bit too much, and while they dominated the shots on goal in the first period (9-3) they walked away scoreless.
Michael Leighton looking much more confident helped as well.
In the second period, the game has calmed down a bit and the Flyers have killed off a couple of penalties. The Flyers have also evened up the shots on goal and the scoring chances a bit, finding a counterattack while still locking down Toews, Kane and Byfuglien.
This is a much closer, much more physical game than we witnessed in Game 1 and it’s exactly what I expected to see. It’s no less entertaining, however.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)