May 30, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
Earlier today I gave my guess as to what Peter Laviolette would do
with his goaltender situation heading into Game 2. Turns out, we’re
going to have to wait a day to find out ourselves.
Flyers’ practice today, Laviolette was not giving any hints as to what
direction he might be going.
“We will keep everything internally
with regards to lineups, lineup
changes, lines, goaltenders, anything that’s internal we’ll probably
keep it internal,” Laviolette said.
I can respect Laviolette not
revealing any of his plans for tomorrow night; after all, this is the
Stanley Cup finals. Coaches don’t reveal anything at all when it comes
to their lineups or their players.
What is interesting is that it
appears he hasn’t let Leighton or Boucher know either. At least, they
didn’t know when they talked to the media after practice.
kind of up in the air, I haven’t talked to the coach yet,” said
Leighton. “But if I am, I’ll just approach it like I did last
game, just keep doing what I’ve been doing and try not to think about
what happened last night.”
Obviously, Leighton says that he’ll be disappointed if he’s not starting in Game 2. Still, he’s not willing to start any sort of controversy and is just wanting to do whatever it takes for his team to win.
“Obviously, I would be disappointed,” Leighton said. “We’re in the Stanley Cup Final.
That’s not the time to be mad at someone if I’m not starting. If
Boucher goes in, he did a great job going in the other night. If he gets
the start, then I have to support him. I’m not going to sit there and
pout on the bench, because we’re in the Stanley Cup Final.”
Neither player was told before or during
practice, but it appears the coaches will let them know before they go
back to the hotel from practice. Both goaltenders said that they were
worked the same during practice, trying to keep both goalies fresh,
although Leighton did receive extra attention from the goaltenders
With Laviolette not coming out and steadfastly sticking
with Boucher after pulling Leighton last night, it feels as if the
Flyers will have Leighton in net tomorrow night.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)