May 30, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Forget the fact that just three or four years ago, the United Center was nearly abandoned by Chicago Blackhawks fans. Now that ownership has changed and has actually worked to bring fans back to the arena, Chicago has become one hell of an example of just how crazed hockey fans can be.
The United Center has become one of the loudest arenas not just in hockey, but in all of sports. Just how loud? NHL.com was determined to find out. From the NHL website:
We have a decibel meter packed alongside all the laptops, notebooks, cameras and pens, so we will provide some level of the noise and excitement inside the building at key parts of Game 1. Pre-game and 1st period will be taken from the press box. 2nd period will be taken from the 200 level. 3rd period will be taken from the 300 level.
The story lists how the sound level changed throughout the game, ranging from 91dB during the pregame festivities all the way up to 121dB during the national anthem.
That’s right, the arena was at it’s loudest during the anthem.
For comparison purposes, those levels are the noise equivalent from anything from truck traffic and a power saw from 3 feet away to a loud rock concert and sandblasting. It’s also recommended that a person should wear hearing protection at anything over 90dB.
Here’s video of the crowd last night:
The NHL will also be taking the decibel meter to Philadelphia for Games 3 and 4.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22