May 30, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Forget the fact that just three or four years ago, the United Center was nearly abandoned by Chicago Blackhawks fans. Now that ownership has changed and has actually worked to bring fans back to the arena, Chicago has become one hell of an example of just how crazed hockey fans can be.
The United Center has become one of the loudest arenas not just in hockey, but in all of sports. Just how loud? NHL.com was determined to find out. From the NHL website:
We have a decibel meter packed alongside all the laptops, notebooks, cameras and pens, so we will provide some level of the noise and excitement inside the building at key parts of Game 1. Pre-game and 1st period will be taken from the press box. 2nd period will be taken from the 200 level. 3rd period will be taken from the 300 level.
The story lists how the sound level changed throughout the game, ranging from 91dB during the pregame festivities all the way up to 121dB during the national anthem.
That’s right, the arena was at it’s loudest during the anthem.
For comparison purposes, those levels are the noise equivalent from anything from truck traffic and a power saw from 3 feet away to a loud rock concert and sandblasting. It’s also recommended that a person should wear hearing protection at anything over 90dB.
Here’s video of the crowd last night:
The NHL will also be taking the decibel meter to Philadelphia for Games 3 and 4.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games