May 30, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
Forget the fact that just three or four years ago, the United Center was nearly abandoned by Chicago Blackhawks fans. Now that ownership has changed and has actually worked to bring fans back to the arena, Chicago has become one hell of an example of just how crazed hockey fans can be.
The United Center has become one of the loudest arenas not just in hockey, but in all of sports. Just how loud? NHL.com was determined to find out. From the NHL website:
We have a decibel meter packed alongside all the laptops, notebooks, cameras and pens, so we will provide some level of the noise and excitement inside the building at key parts of Game 1. Pre-game and 1st period will be taken from the press box. 2nd period will be taken from the 200 level. 3rd period will be taken from the 300 level.
The story lists how the sound level changed throughout the game, ranging from 91dB during the pregame festivities all the way up to 121dB during the national anthem.
That’s right, the arena was at it’s loudest during the anthem.
For comparison purposes, those levels are the noise equivalent from anything from truck traffic and a power saw from 3 feet away to a loud rock concert and sandblasting. It’s also recommended that a person should wear hearing protection at anything over 90dB.
Here’s video of the crowd last night:
The NHL will also be taking the decibel meter to Philadelphia for Games 3 and 4.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)