May 29, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
Well, if casual fans enjoy goal scoring frenzies, then this game is simply a buffet of goodness. Jacques Lemaire might want to look away from the screen, though.
Flyers 5, Blackhawks 5
End of second period
Michael Leighton looked nervous early and played that way all game. He ended up getting the boot in the second period in the first game Brian Boucher returned as his backup, although at least in this case no one was injured. Instead Leighton just played like something was ailing him, allowing 5 goals on only 20 shots. Antti Niemi’s night hasn’t been much better, although he’s still in net for Chicago after giving up 5 goals on 26.
Danny Briere’s had an excellent 1 goal and 3 assists while Troy Brouwer put up an impressive 2 goals and 1 assist.
This is not a game for fans of tight checking, defensive hockey. Philadelphia is generally outplayed Chicago for long stretches – particularly in the first period – generating 4 powerplay opportunities to a stunning zero for the Blackhawks. Neither team will put this on their personal highlight reels, though.
It’s 5-5 going into the third and really … anything can happen. Maybe the teams will flip the script and produce some playoff-quality defense? Nah, that might be a little too crazy.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)