May 29, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
Well, if casual fans enjoy goal scoring frenzies, then this game is simply a buffet of goodness. Jacques Lemaire might want to look away from the screen, though.
Flyers 5, Blackhawks 5
End of second period
Michael Leighton looked nervous early and played that way all game. He ended up getting the boot in the second period in the first game Brian Boucher returned as his backup, although at least in this case no one was injured. Instead Leighton just played like something was ailing him, allowing 5 goals on only 20 shots. Antti Niemi’s night hasn’t been much better, although he’s still in net for Chicago after giving up 5 goals on 26.
Danny Briere’s had an excellent 1 goal and 3 assists while Troy Brouwer put up an impressive 2 goals and 1 assist.
This is not a game for fans of tight checking, defensive hockey. Philadelphia is generally outplayed Chicago for long stretches – particularly in the first period – generating 4 powerplay opportunities to a stunning zero for the Blackhawks. Neither team will put this on their personal highlight reels, though.
It’s 5-5 going into the third and really … anything can happen. Maybe the teams will flip the script and produce some playoff-quality defense? Nah, that might be a little too crazy.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)