May 29, 2010, 10:24 PM EDT
Well, if casual fans enjoy goal scoring frenzies, then this game is simply a buffet of goodness. Jacques Lemaire might want to look away from the screen, though.
Flyers 5, Blackhawks 5
End of second period
Michael Leighton looked nervous early and played that way all game. He ended up getting the boot in the second period in the first game Brian Boucher returned as his backup, although at least in this case no one was injured. Instead Leighton just played like something was ailing him, allowing 5 goals on only 20 shots. Antti Niemi’s night hasn’t been much better, although he’s still in net for Chicago after giving up 5 goals on 26.
Danny Briere’s had an excellent 1 goal and 3 assists while Troy Brouwer put up an impressive 2 goals and 1 assist.
This is not a game for fans of tight checking, defensive hockey. Philadelphia is generally outplayed Chicago for long stretches – particularly in the first period – generating 4 powerplay opportunities to a stunning zero for the Blackhawks. Neither team will put this on their personal highlight reels, though.
It’s 5-5 going into the third and really … anything can happen. Maybe the teams will flip the script and produce some playoff-quality defense? Nah, that might be a little too crazy.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)