May 29, 2010, 10:35 AM EST
As I speculated earlier this week, it sounds like there’s a good chance that Brian Boucher will be available to back up Michael Leighton. NHL.com reports that – while it’s not a guarantee – he should be the Philadelphia Flyers No. 2 goalie for Game 1.
Boucher, who was in agonizing pain after teammate Ryan Parent fell on his legs during Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, practiced Friday at United Center on the eve of Game 1 against the Chicago Blackhawks. Boucher says nothing is official, but he’s “99 percent” sure he’ll be backing up Michael Leighton Saturday night (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, RDS).
“Medically I’m ready to go,” Boucher said. “If it doesn’t happen it will be a coach’s decision, but I don’t anticipate that being the case.”
It’s surprising that Boucher is coming back so soon after spraining both his knees not that long ago. Then again, this is the time of year when players defy logic and medical science to fight through injuries.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 12
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 8
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 34
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (34)