May 29, 2010, 10:35 AM EDT
As I speculated earlier this week, it sounds like there’s a good chance that Brian Boucher will be available to back up Michael Leighton. NHL.com reports that – while it’s not a guarantee – he should be the Philadelphia Flyers No. 2 goalie for Game 1.
Boucher, who was in agonizing pain after teammate Ryan Parent fell on his legs during Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, practiced Friday at United Center on the eve of Game 1 against the Chicago Blackhawks. Boucher says nothing is official, but he’s “99 percent” sure he’ll be backing up Michael Leighton Saturday night (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, RDS).
“Medically I’m ready to go,” Boucher said. “If it doesn’t happen it will be a coach’s decision, but I don’t anticipate that being the case.”
It’s surprising that Boucher is coming back so soon after spraining both his knees not that long ago. Then again, this is the time of year when players defy logic and medical science to fight through injuries.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)