May 29, 2010, 1:10 PM EDT
It’s common for high-end NFL prospects to shy away from the Combine in order to avoid hurting their stock. In the case of probable 2010 NHL Entry Draft No. 1 pick Taylor Hall, he has a much better excuse for opting out of the fitness side of the event.
Folks who wanted to see Taylor Hall go through the fitness testing gamut were disappointed Friday as a few injuries, plus a grueling season, left him a bit too sore to work out.
“I got pretty banged up in the Memorial Cup, I played almost 100 games this year, I had a couple injuries, just nagging, and I thought it would be a good idea not to work out,” said Hall. “Just in my back and my knee. It’s not lingering stuff, just kind of painful right now. Rest is the biggest thing. Once I get that I’ll be fine.”
In other Scouting Combine news, NHL.com’s blog includes the results for the fitness testing. Here are the “top performers” in each category. Keep in mind that these are just the “Day 1″ (May 28) winners. This is an abbreviated version of a list found here.
VO2 Max test — A pair of forwards — Medicine Hat’s Emerson Etem and South Shore’s Charlie Coyle — each went 14 minutes on this test …
Wing span — The longest wing span belonged to USNTDP defenseman Derek Forbort, at 78.5 inches.
Standing long jump — Sudbury Wolves center John McFarland went the longest, 116 inches.
Vertical jump — The highest riser was Cretin-Derham High defenseman Mark Alt, at 31.8 inches.
Sit-ups — Kitchener Rangers forward Jeff Skinner did the most sit-ups, 38.
Push-ups — Portland Winterhawks forward Bradley Ross was the leader with 38.
Bench press — Biega, the Harvard defenseman, put the 150-pound bar up 20 times
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)