May 29, 2010, 1:10 PM EDT
It’s common for high-end NFL prospects to shy away from the Combine in order to avoid hurting their stock. In the case of probable 2010 NHL Entry Draft No. 1 pick Taylor Hall, he has a much better excuse for opting out of the fitness side of the event.
Folks who wanted to see Taylor Hall go through the fitness testing gamut were disappointed Friday as a few injuries, plus a grueling season, left him a bit too sore to work out.
“I got pretty banged up in the Memorial Cup, I played almost 100 games this year, I had a couple injuries, just nagging, and I thought it would be a good idea not to work out,” said Hall. “Just in my back and my knee. It’s not lingering stuff, just kind of painful right now. Rest is the biggest thing. Once I get that I’ll be fine.”
In other Scouting Combine news, NHL.com’s blog includes the results for the fitness testing. Here are the “top performers” in each category. Keep in mind that these are just the “Day 1″ (May 28) winners. This is an abbreviated version of a list found here.
VO2 Max test — A pair of forwards — Medicine Hat’s Emerson Etem and South Shore’s Charlie Coyle — each went 14 minutes on this test …
Wing span — The longest wing span belonged to USNTDP defenseman Derek Forbort, at 78.5 inches.
Standing long jump — Sudbury Wolves center John McFarland went the longest, 116 inches.
Vertical jump — The highest riser was Cretin-Derham High defenseman Mark Alt, at 31.8 inches.
Sit-ups — Kitchener Rangers forward Jeff Skinner did the most sit-ups, 38.
Push-ups — Portland Winterhawks forward Bradley Ross was the leader with 38.
Bench press — Biega, the Harvard defenseman, put the 150-pound bar up 20 times
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6