May 29, 2010, 1:10 PM EDT
It’s common for high-end NFL prospects to shy away from the Combine in order to avoid hurting their stock. In the case of probable 2010 NHL Entry Draft No. 1 pick Taylor Hall, he has a much better excuse for opting out of the fitness side of the event.
Folks who wanted to see Taylor Hall go through the fitness testing gamut were disappointed Friday as a few injuries, plus a grueling season, left him a bit too sore to work out.
“I got pretty banged up in the Memorial Cup, I played almost 100 games this year, I had a couple injuries, just nagging, and I thought it would be a good idea not to work out,” said Hall. “Just in my back and my knee. It’s not lingering stuff, just kind of painful right now. Rest is the biggest thing. Once I get that I’ll be fine.”
In other Scouting Combine news, NHL.com’s blog includes the results for the fitness testing. Here are the “top performers” in each category. Keep in mind that these are just the “Day 1″ (May 28) winners. This is an abbreviated version of a list found here.
VO2 Max test — A pair of forwards — Medicine Hat’s Emerson Etem and South Shore’s Charlie Coyle — each went 14 minutes on this test …
Wing span — The longest wing span belonged to USNTDP defenseman Derek Forbort, at 78.5 inches.
Standing long jump — Sudbury Wolves center John McFarland went the longest, 116 inches.
Vertical jump — The highest riser was Cretin-Derham High defenseman Mark Alt, at 31.8 inches.
Sit-ups — Kitchener Rangers forward Jeff Skinner did the most sit-ups, 38.
Push-ups — Portland Winterhawks forward Bradley Ross was the leader with 38.
Bench press — Biega, the Harvard defenseman, put the 150-pound bar up 20 times
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)