May 28, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
In all the breakdowns we’ve done of the Chicago Blackhawks and the Philadelphia Flyers going into the Stanley Cup finals, there’s one debate that seems to really draw the line between the two cities. No, it isn’t the debate between the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich and the Chicago deep dish pizza (come on, they’re both delicious), it’s the debate over who honors America/fires up the home team the best way possible.
For years, Chicago has honored America by singing the National Anthem while the hometown fans at the Madhouse on Madison roar, cheer and go out of their mind “bizonkers” as Gary Bettman would say. For those of you doubting how long this has been going on, check out this footage from the All Star Game back in the early 90s at the old Chicago Stadium.
Crazy, right? And I don’t just mean the mullets on some of those fans’ heads either. Thankfully Patrick Kane is representing for them now.
As for the Flyers, they’ve been honoring America by having the long-since departed Kate Smith singing “God Bless America” before games since the mid-1970s. She became the Flyers good luck charm of sorts during the Broad Street Bullies days when she would come out to center ice and sing it back then, but now it’s a duo with a recording of Kate Smith teamed up with the live singing of Lauren Hart and it’s done pretty well.
So, now the question for you lovely readers of Pro Hockey Talk, who does it the best? Obviously we know where Philly and Chicago supporters will decide and some of the readers at NBC Sports have weighed in already.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)