May 28, 2010, 12:08 PM EST
The city of Chicago has fallen deep into the void of hockey madness.
With the Blackhawks finally back in the Stanley Cup finals, for the
first time since 1992 and after years of frustration, the city has now
gone completely nuts as they gear up for what they hope to be ultimate
can also blame Rocky Wirtz a bit for the fervor that has enveloped
“I’m taking every orange tie in my closet and throwing it out,” Wirtz
“I think we should boycott everything colored orange for the next two
weeks,” the jubilant Hawks owner said.
“Restaurants could take anything orange off the menu for the time
being. Weekend, maybe. And no wearing orange,” he said.
And what does Wirtz, who owns a major liquor distributorship, have
shakin’ in his anti-Flyers shaker?
“If you want to put orange juice in vodka, try opting for a Bloody
Mary instead,” said a cheery Wirtz.
That’s the message that is being spread across Chicago, to boycott
anything and everything orange. Between these two crazed fanbases, you
have to wonder which side will take things further. I’m certain there
will be an incredible amount of trash talk back and forth, especially
when you start to factor in just how long it’s been for both of these
These are hungry and angry fans. They are rabid, and
while the Blackhawks fan disappeared for a bit they are back in full
force now. Boycotting anything that’s orange; that is tame compared to
some of the antics I’m expecting to see in Chicago and Philadelphia over
Hopefully we’ll even be able to print them. Knowing the
fans in Philly, there’s a good chance we might not.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 40
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)