May 27, 2010, 10:07 AM EST
Well, Darry Sutter is staying put as the Calgary Flames general
George Johnson of the Calgary Herald, team president Ken King was
adamant this morning about that fact:
“We weren’t vascillating on whether or not to keep Darryl,” said
King of his embattled general manager.
“It wasn’t a question of,
‘If this happens, he’ll stay,’ or ‘If this happens, he won’t.’ We’ve
gone through our evalutions. We’ve made decisions.
”What we want
to do here is put an end to the death watch; to other people’s
“We move forward.”
Ever since the Flames’ desperation moves of using half the Toronto
Maple Leafs roster in a last attempt at making the playoffs fell
woefully short, there has been an outcry that it’s time for Sutter to
step down. He’s made increasingly bad decisions and currently the
atmosphere surrounding the club is nothing short of absolute doom and
gloom. Still, you have to have respect for King for coming out and
standing by his GM, putting to rest any doubts as to the immediate
future of Sutter.
Still, he has put himself into an incredibly deep hole. The team is a
mess, there is nothing resembling chemistry or cohesiveness on the
roster and the Flames are right up against the salary cap. Barring
sweeping changes, the Flames won’t look much different next season than
they did at the end of this last one. After seeing how the team
performed, it’s understandable why that possibility has upset the local
media and fans.
That doesn’t mean changes aren’t coming. Sutter and the Flames will be
hiring some front office help, likely an assistant GM to help provide
some feedback to Sutter when he starts thinking about making some dumb
decisions. King also stated that the team will look to take a better
approach with media relations, which have eroded during Sutter’s tenure.
He also stated that Jarome Iginla isn’t going anywhere.
So, Sutter stays and Iginla stays; not much changing in Calgary this
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)