May 27, 2010, 6:05 PM EST
Rob Blake was still an asset for the San Jose Sharks at the far-from-tender age of 40, logging the second most time-on-ice for the team during the playoffs. Still, the rugged defenseman looks like is leaning toward retirement, reports David Pollak of the Mercury News.
Sharks captain Rob Blake is leaning toward retirement at age 40, according to a source familiar with the situation, but he is holding off on any announcement just yet.
“You need time to unwind after the season and different things,” Blake said Wednesday as players cleaned out their lockers for the season. “My kids are in school until June, and I want to meet with Doug (Wilson) and meet with Todd (McLellan) and talk things over and go from there.”
Blake had 7 goals and 23 assists for 30 points during the regular season while he only managed 1 goal and 1 assist in the playoffs.
It could be a time of significant change for the Sharks, so you have to wonder if Blake wants to stick around if the they decide to take a short-term step back in order to go forward in the future. My impression is that the Sharks are open to allowing the veteran blueliner call the shots, though. If he wants to come back, they’ll probably be glad to have him around.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)