May 27, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Rob Blake was still an asset for the San Jose Sharks at the far-from-tender age of 40, logging the second most time-on-ice for the team during the playoffs. Still, the rugged defenseman looks like is leaning toward retirement, reports David Pollak of the Mercury News.
Sharks captain Rob Blake is leaning toward retirement at age 40, according to a source familiar with the situation, but he is holding off on any announcement just yet.
“You need time to unwind after the season and different things,” Blake said Wednesday as players cleaned out their lockers for the season. “My kids are in school until June, and I want to meet with Doug (Wilson) and meet with Todd (McLellan) and talk things over and go from there.”
Blake had 7 goals and 23 assists for 30 points during the regular season while he only managed 1 goal and 1 assist in the playoffs.
It could be a time of significant change for the Sharks, so you have to wonder if Blake wants to stick around if the they decide to take a short-term step back in order to go forward in the future. My impression is that the Sharks are open to allowing the veteran blueliner call the shots, though. If he wants to come back, they’ll probably be glad to have him around.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)