May 27, 2010, 6:05 PM EST
Rob Blake was still an asset for the San Jose Sharks at the far-from-tender age of 40, logging the second most time-on-ice for the team during the playoffs. Still, the rugged defenseman looks like is leaning toward retirement, reports David Pollak of the Mercury News.
Sharks captain Rob Blake is leaning toward retirement at age 40, according to a source familiar with the situation, but he is holding off on any announcement just yet.
“You need time to unwind after the season and different things,” Blake said Wednesday as players cleaned out their lockers for the season. “My kids are in school until June, and I want to meet with Doug (Wilson) and meet with Todd (McLellan) and talk things over and go from there.”
Blake had 7 goals and 23 assists for 30 points during the regular season while he only managed 1 goal and 1 assist in the playoffs.
It could be a time of significant change for the Sharks, so you have to wonder if Blake wants to stick around if the they decide to take a short-term step back in order to go forward in the future. My impression is that the Sharks are open to allowing the veteran blueliner call the shots, though. If he wants to come back, they’ll probably be glad to have him around.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)