May 27, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
Rob Blake was still an asset for the San Jose Sharks at the far-from-tender age of 40, logging the second most time-on-ice for the team during the playoffs. Still, the rugged defenseman looks like is leaning toward retirement, reports David Pollak of the Mercury News.
Sharks captain Rob Blake is leaning toward retirement at age 40, according to a source familiar with the situation, but he is holding off on any announcement just yet.
“You need time to unwind after the season and different things,” Blake said Wednesday as players cleaned out their lockers for the season. “My kids are in school until June, and I want to meet with Doug (Wilson) and meet with Todd (McLellan) and talk things over and go from there.”
Blake had 7 goals and 23 assists for 30 points during the regular season while he only managed 1 goal and 1 assist in the playoffs.
It could be a time of significant change for the Sharks, so you have to wonder if Blake wants to stick around if the they decide to take a short-term step back in order to go forward in the future. My impression is that the Sharks are open to allowing the veteran blueliner call the shots, though. If he wants to come back, they’ll probably be glad to have him around.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)